Mathematical notes on the web - a sticky in each forum?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating a sticky post at the top of each subforum with links to reputable websites containing valuable information for various topics. The suggestion is for a referral system of moderation, similar to arxiv, where people can freely post without restriction and any questionable links can be removed upon report. This would provide a convenient and reliable resource for individuals seeking help with specific subjects.
matt grime
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
It seems that quite frequently mathwonk, or myself, will post a reply to a question which says 'Here is something I/a colleague/some mathematician I know wrote that contains an answer to your question (and much else besides).'

How about we create a sticky at the top of each subforum with links to _respectable_ websites with information that is often cited, or frequently used.

NB - moderators, I'm suggesting a referral system of moderation, like arxiv, rather than an active moderation - that is people are allowed to post to it, without restriction, and dodgy links should be erased upon report.

I realize that there are, in other subforums, links to online tutorials, and book reports etc, but I never look at these, and surely the information about linear algebra should be in the linear algebra subforum where people first look for help.

Physics news on Phys.org
For many people finding notes on the internet is quite easy, but they would rather have the peace of mind knowing that if they don't have a clue about the notes, they can ask a human being. Its all psychological, but still. Either way, I like the idea.

I think this is a great idea! Having a sticky at the top of each subforum with links to reputable websites and resources would be very helpful for those seeking mathematical information. It would also be a great way to organize and centralize all of the valuable resources that are shared by members of the forum. And by allowing anyone to post to the sticky, it would create a collaborative and constantly updated list of resources. Moderators could step in if any questionable links are reported, ensuring that the information remains reliable. This would definitely make it easier for members to find the information they need, and it would also encourage the sharing of valuable resources within the community. Overall, I think this would be a beneficial addition to the forum.

Related to Mathematical notes on the web - a sticky in each forum?

1. What is the purpose of having a "sticky" in each forum for mathematical notes on the web?

The purpose of having a "sticky" in each forum for mathematical notes on the web is to provide a centralized location for users to access important information and resources related to mathematics. This can include notes, formulas, tips, and links to helpful websites or resources.

2. Who can access the "sticky" in each forum for mathematical notes on the web?

The "sticky" in each forum for mathematical notes on the web is accessible to all users of the forum. It is typically located at the top of the forum, making it easily visible and accessible to anyone browsing the forum.

3. Can users contribute to the "sticky" in each forum for mathematical notes on the web?

Yes, users can contribute to the "sticky" in each forum for mathematical notes on the web by adding their own notes, tips, or resources. However, it is important to follow the forum's guidelines and make sure that the information being added is accurate and relevant.

4. How often is the information in the "sticky" updated?

The frequency of updates to the "sticky" in each forum for mathematical notes on the web may vary. It is typically up to the forum moderators or administrators to update the information, so it is best to check the date of the last update or contact them directly for more information.

5. Are there any restrictions on the type of information that can be included in the "sticky"?

Generally, the information included in the "sticky" should be related to mathematics and helpful for users of the forum. It is important to follow the forum's guidelines and avoid posting any inappropriate or irrelevant content. Additionally, copyrighted material should not be included without proper permission or attribution.