Mathematical Physics as a graduate program

In summary, this professor would make you take independent studies on topology, diff geometry, special functions, etc, during the summer terms, but you were expected to know the basics, i.e, analysis, algebra, etc.
Convuler
Hi guys,

I was wondering whether atypical preparation is needed for admission to a mathematical physics program? i.e. Do you need to take Real Analysis, Topology, and other "rigorous" mathematics even if you are only a physics undergrad, or will such mathematics be taught from the ground up in graduate school.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
There was a professor doing mathematical physics at my undergraduate uni. and he would make you take independent studies on topology, diff geometry, special functions, etc, during the summer terms, but you were expected to know the basics, i.e, analysis, algebra, etc. I guess the best you can do is double major in mathematics? But I guess that also depends on where you are applying to.

http://www.phys.vt.edu/~ersharpe/advising.html

I think you can send him an e-mail and he'll be more than happy to answer.

Garrity's All the Mathematics You Missed But Need To Know For Graduate School might be useful.

Beginning graduate students in mathematics and other quantitative subjects are expected to have a daunting breadth of mathematical knowledge. But few have such a background. This book, first published in 2002, will help students to see the broad outline of mathematics and to fill in the gaps in their knowledge. The author explains the basic points and a few key results of all the most important undergraduate topics in mathematics, emphasizing the intuitions behind the subject. The topics include linear algebra, vector calculus, differential geometry, real analysis, point-set topology, probability, complex analysis, abstract algebra, and more. An annotated bibliography then offers a guide to further reading and to more rigorous foundations. This book will be an essential resource for advanced undergraduate and beginning graduate students in mathematics, the physical sciences, engineering, computer science, statistics, and economics who need to quickly learn some serious mathematics.

Related to Mathematical Physics as a graduate program

What is Mathematical Physics?

Mathematical Physics is a branch of physics that uses mathematical tools and methods to understand and describe physical phenomena. It involves the application of mathematical concepts, such as calculus and differential equations, to solve problems in physics.

What are the benefits of pursuing a graduate degree in Mathematical Physics?

A graduate degree in Mathematical Physics can lead to a variety of career opportunities in fields such as research, academia, and industry. It also provides a strong foundation in both mathematics and physics, making graduates highly sought after for their analytical and problem-solving skills.

What are the prerequisites for a graduate program in Mathematical Physics?

Most graduate programs in Mathematical Physics require a strong background in mathematics, particularly in areas such as calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. A solid understanding of physics, including classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics, is also necessary.

What courses are typically included in a graduate program in Mathematical Physics?

Courses in a graduate program in Mathematical Physics may include advanced mathematics courses, such as complex analysis and group theory, as well as physics courses on topics such as statistical mechanics and quantum field theory. The specific courses will vary depending on the program and focus of study.

What skills can I expect to gain from a graduate program in Mathematical Physics?

A graduate program in Mathematical Physics will develop your critical thinking, problem-solving, and mathematical modeling skills. You will also gain a deep understanding of the mathematical foundations of physics and be able to apply these concepts to real-world problems in a variety of fields.