Mathematical Quantum Statistics: Why is A*rho of trace class?

In summary, the density operator \rho is a non-negative definite operator of trace class with trace 1 and the expectation value of a given observable A can be calculated as \operatorname{tr}(A \cdot \rho). However, for unbounded operators, A \cdot \rho may not be of trace class and the expectation value may not be finite.
Illuvatar
Hi,

as we know a density operator [itex]\rho[/itex] is defined to be a non-negative definite operator of trace class (with trace 1).
We also know that for a given observable A, which is a (possibly unbounded) self-adjoint operator, the expectation value can be calculated as [itex]\operatorname{tr}(A \cdot \rho)[/itex].

But that's where I just paused: In my lecture about functional analysis I learned that calculating traces in infinite dimensional spaces is a tricky thing. For a given operator O, you must first check that it is of trace class, only then do you know that [itex]\sum \langle \psi_n | O | \psi_n \rangle[/itex] makes sense (i.e. gives the same value for all complete orthogonal sets [itex]\{ \psi_n \}[/itex]).
In that lecture, we did prove that [itex]A \cdot \rho[/itex] is of trace class if [itex]\rho[/itex] is of trace class and A is an arbitrary bounded operator. But what happens if A is an unbounded operator?

Thank you for reading and I hope you can give me a hint to the solution :smile:

(I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the Calculus & Analysis forum... please tell me if my choice was wrong :wink:)

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]A\rho[/itex] is generally not trace class. For unbounded operators the expectation value needn't be finite (as their spectrum needn't be finite), so there's no problem if [itex] A\rho [/itex] is unbounded.

Last edited:

Related to Mathematical Quantum Statistics: Why is A*rho of trace class?

1. Why is A*rho of trace class?

The trace class property of A*rho in mathematical quantum statistics is important because it ensures that the operator A and the density matrix rho have well-defined trace values. This allows for the calculation of important statistical quantities, such as the expectation value of A, which is crucial in understanding the behavior of quantum systems.

2. What does the trace class property mean in the context of mathematical quantum statistics?

The trace class property means that the operator A*rho has a finite trace value, or equivalently, that its eigenvalues are square summable. This is important because it allows for the calculation of statistical quantities and ensures the stability of the system under small perturbations.

3. How does the trace class property relate to the concept of operator norm?

The trace class property is closely related to the operator norm, as it implies that the operator A*rho has a finite operator norm. This means that the operator is bounded and its behavior can be studied using norm-based techniques.

4. Is the trace class property necessary for all quantum systems?

No, the trace class property is not necessary for all quantum systems. It is only necessary for systems where statistical quantities, such as expectation values, are of interest. In some cases, the trace class property may not hold, but the system can still be studied using other mathematical methods.

5. Can the trace class property be extended to more general operators?

Yes, the trace class property can be extended to more general operators, such as unbounded operators or operators that act on infinite-dimensional Hilbert spaces. However, in these cases, the trace may no longer be a finite value, and alternate techniques may be needed to study the system.