Mathematical Statistics Xi~N(6,25) P[1.860 < 3(Xbar - 6]/S

In summary: XNpb24sIFggTGF0LCBYMiwgLi4uLCBYOSBtYXJjcm9zLCBZaXNvbixZaS4uLjogSW4gc3VtLCBQYXJ0aWNpcGFudCBhbmQgUzInIHRoZSBzYW1wbGUgYmVzdCBhbmQgc2FtcGxlIHZhcmlhbmNlLiBVc2UgdGhlIHN0YW5kYXJkIHN0YXRpc3RpYyB0YWJsZSBmb3Igbm9ybWFsIG
cimmerian

Homework Statement

Let X1, X2, ..., X9 be a random sample from a normal distribution, Xi~N(6,25), and denote by Xbar and S^2 the sample mean and sample variance. Use the standard statistical table for normal distribution.

Homework Equations

E[S^2] = δ^2 = 25

S^2 = (ƩXi^2 - nXbar^2)/(n-1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have to find the probability and I want to move Xbar to one side. To do that, I need to find the value of S. I have no idea how to do this. I don't know how to use the sum. All I know is that n=9. I got a very complicated integral from using E[S^2]. How do I find S? Or what should I do if I can't?

Physics news on Phys.org
cimmerian said:

Homework Statement

Let X1, X2, ..., X9 be a random sample from a normal distribution, Xi~N(6,25), and denote by Xbar and S^2 the sample mean and sample variance. Use the standard statistical table for normal distribution.

Homework Equations

E[S^2] = δ^2 = 25

S^2 = (ƩXi^2 - nXbar^2)/(n-1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have to find the probability and I want to move Xbar to one side. To do that, I need to find the value of S. I have no idea how to do this. I don't know how to use the sum. All I know is that n=9. I got a very complicated integral from using E[S^2]. How do I find S? Or what should I do if I can't?

Look up the "Student's t-distribution".

RGV

Related to Mathematical Statistics Xi~N(6,25) P[1.860 < 3(Xbar - 6]/S

1. What does Xi~N(6,25) mean in the given equation?

Xi~N(6,25) represents a random variable X with a normal distribution, where the mean is 6 and the variance is 25.

2. What does P[1.860 < 3(Xbar - 6]/S] indicate in the equation?

P[1.860 < 3(Xbar - 6]/S] is the probability that the sample mean, Xbar, is greater than 1.860 standard deviations away from the population mean of 6, divided by the standard deviation S.

3. What is the significance of 1.860 in the given equation?

1.860 represents the number of standard deviations away from the population mean of 6. This is used to calculate the probability of the sample mean being within a certain range from the population mean.

4. Can you explain the purpose of the given mathematical equation?

The given equation is used in mathematical statistics to determine the probability of a sample mean being within a certain range from the population mean. This can help in making statistical inferences and drawing conclusions about a population based on a sample.

5. How is this equation related to the normal distribution?

The given equation uses the normal distribution as it assumes that the random variable X follows a normal distribution with a mean of 6 and a variance of 25. The normal distribution is commonly used in statistical analysis and is characterized by a bell-shaped curve.