Mathematical Structure and Mathematical Space Hierarchies

In summary, the diagrams in the post show the relationship between different mathematical concepts, such as inner product spaces and normed vector spaces. These concepts are important in mathematics and have practical and theoretical uses. The diagrams serve as visual aids to better understand these relationships.
pairofstrings
Hi.
I am trying to understand the images that I have posted below.

space-hierarchy_zpsuchrw0k0.png

structure-hierarchy_zpszgf98yie.png

Each layer of Mathematical Structure Hierarchy in the image in this post and Mathematical Space Hierarchy in the image in this post are: statements.
1. What do these statements of each layer of these hierarchies in the images in this post let's me do?
2. Do these statements let's me build something?
3. What if there is no Mathematical Structure Hierarchy and Mathematical Space Hierarchy?
4. Why did somebody create Mathematical Structure Hierarchy and Mathematical Space Hierarchy?
5. Do these Mathematical Structure and Mathematical Space Hierarchies exist to describe something?
6. Why each layer of Mathematical Structure Hierarchy and Mathematical Space Hierarchy be in the order as they are shown in the images above? Can they be jumbled?

I have asked these questions to know what Mathematical Space Hierarchy is and what Mathematical Structure Hierarchy is.

- Trying to connect dots.

Thanks!

Attachments

• space-hierarchy_zpsuchrw0k0.png
    space-hierarchy_zpsuchrw0k0.png
    18.6 KB · Views: 1,559
  • structure-hierarchy_zpszgf98yie.png
    structure-hierarchy_zpszgf98yie.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 2,028
Mathematics news on Phys.org
pairofstrings said:
Hi.
I am trying to understand the images that I have posted below.

Where did you find these diagrams?

Have you studied the definitions of the things presented in the diagrams? The concepts of "Mathematical Space Hierarchy" and "Mathematical Structure Hierarchy" are not standard concepts of mathematics. They may be concepts invented by someone in field of mathematics education in order to give an overview of mathematical topics.

If you have studied the mathematical definitions of the things presented in the diagram, you should see that each thing is a special case of the other things that contain it. To understand why that is so, you need to know the technical definitions of each of the things.

The things in the diagrams are important mathematical concepts because they have theoretical and practical uses. Historically, each of the concepts was developed without any reference to a "Mathematical Space Heirarchy" or "Mathematical Structure Heirarchy".

Likes pairofstrings
Stephen Tashi said:
Where did you find these diagrams?

They used to live in Wikipedia's "Space" and "Structure" pages.

They are equivalent to statements like "every inner product space is a normed vector space" and so on. Just a graphical visualization. The set of inner product spaces is a subset of the set of normed vector spaces.

If you can show something is an inner product space then you can apply every theorem for normed vector spaces, every theorem for metric spaces and every theorem for topological spaces as well.

While I agree with the first, where there are actual inclusions, I think the second is highly questionable. "algebraic structure" isn't defined without context. It should at least be "binary operation", and "Abelian" is plain wrong, if the word "group" isn't attached to it within the context given. And it is a bit of an arbitrary property in group theoretical considerations. Why not "simple" or "finite"? Abelian refers to the binary operation in question and isn't exclusively related to groups.

Related to Mathematical Structure and Mathematical Space Hierarchies

1. What is the definition of mathematical structure?

Mathematical structure refers to the set of rules, operations, and relationships that govern a mathematical system. It provides a framework for organizing and understanding mathematical concepts and allows for the study of patterns and connections between different mathematical objects.

2. How are mathematical structures classified?

Mathematical structures can be classified into different categories based on their properties and characteristics. Some common classifications include algebraic structures, topological structures, and geometric structures.

3. What is the significance of mathematical structure in mathematics?

Mathematical structure is essential in mathematics as it allows for the development of rigorous proofs and theorems. It also enables mathematicians to generalize concepts and apply them to new problems and situations.

4. What is the relationship between mathematical structure and mathematical space hierarchies?

Mathematical structure and mathematical space hierarchies are closely related concepts. Mathematical structure provides a framework for understanding the relationships and patterns within a mathematical system, while mathematical space hierarchies refer to the organization of these structures into different levels or layers.

5. How do mathematical space hierarchies impact our understanding of the physical world?

Mathematical space hierarchies play a crucial role in our understanding of the physical world. They provide a way to model and describe the complex structures and relationships found in nature, such as the hierarchy of atoms in a molecule or the levels of organization in a biological system.