Mathematical techer's notebook

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter electronic engineer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematical
In summary, the conversation was about seeking guidance for teaching mathematics to students in the primary stage (6-10 year olds) with a focus on developing real mathematical thinking. The suggested guidance includes helping students master basic skills and practice translating word problems into mathematical computations. It also involves teaching logical principles and distinguishing between necessary and sufficient conditions in problem solving. The conversation also touched on the importance of considering the educational system and curriculum in teaching mathematics. A resource, "How to Solve It" by George Polya, was recommended for further reading. Lastly, a collection of PDFs from the US Navy's course series on mathematics and physics was shared as a helpful resource.
electronic engineer
I'm now teaching mathematics for primary stage and i need good guidance for the purpose of raising my students to real mathematic thinking, maybe the guidance will contain some general advices for teachers...i don't know!

anyway thanks for any reply posted!

Physics news on Phys.org
what does primary stage mean? 6-10 year olds?

at that age I recommend just getting them to master the basic skills. And to practice reading problems and translating them into mathematical computations.

real mathematical thinking for high school or junior high students should involve thinking about how we measure various quantities, i.e. what do we mean by length, area, volume.

some logical principels should be learned, such as the difference between "if A then B", and "if B then A". This seems obvious, but it is not. most high schoolers think that solving x -y = 4, and x+y = 2 is done by adding the equations, and concluding that 2x = 6, so x = 3.

they do not realize that this reasoning shows only that 3 is the only possible solution, not that it actually is one. I.e. they do not distinguish between "if there is a solution, then it equals 3", and "if x = 3, then this is a solution".

this becomes more important in exampels like sqrt(x-2) = -3, so x-2 = 9, so x = 11. i.e., assuming sqrt(u) means the non negative one as usual, then x = 11 is actually not a solution of the problem.

Last edited:
thanks for these comments. I'm teaching 11-13 olds students so if you have more comments, tell me please but concerning my title topic "mathematical techer's notebook " does anyone here have such notebook , may be in PDF form?!

regards!

electronic engineer said:
I'm now teaching mathematics for primary stage

It would really really help if you gave us some clue as to where in the world you are located, and what mathematics your students have already studied. At least now you've told us how old your students are.

Educational systems differ tremendously from one country to another, and in some cases between different kinds of schools in the same country. In the USA, the term "primary stage" suggests "primary school" or "elementary school" which usually serves 6-12 year-olds.

I live in Syrian arab republic , if you really want to know more things , please ask me certain questions.

thanks a lot!

Try reading "how to solve it" by george polya.

An excellent Resource

Greetings,
I appreciate your interest in getting your students minds a real thinking power. When I got my HAM radio license, I came across this wonderful collection of documents about maths and physics (electronics in particular)

http://www.earth2.net/parts/?basics/math.php
It has very vital collection in mathematics all in PDF.
It is from US Navy's course series and after looking into it, I found the distribution is unlimited meaning anyone can use it.
Feel free to download, if you like it and know someone who may need it, just spread the word.

Together, we can make our next generation a pleasant one.

Thanks
Murali (kb3lja)

Related to Mathematical techer's notebook

1. What is a Mathematical Teacher's Notebook?

A Mathematical Teacher's Notebook is a personal journal or record-keeping tool for educators in the field of mathematics. It is used to document lesson plans, teaching strategies, student progress, and reflections on the teaching process.

2. How can a Mathematical Teacher's Notebook benefit a teacher?

A Mathematical Teacher's Notebook can benefit a teacher in several ways. It can serve as a reminder of previous lessons and activities, help with lesson planning and organization, and provide a space for reflection and self-evaluation. It can also serve as evidence of professional growth and development.

3. What should be included in a Mathematical Teacher's Notebook?

A Mathematical Teacher's Notebook should include lesson plans, notes on teaching strategies and techniques, student work samples, reflections on lessons and student progress, and any other relevant materials such as handouts or assessments.

4. How often should a teacher update their Mathematical Teacher's Notebook?

The frequency of updates for a Mathematical Teacher's Notebook will vary depending on the individual teacher's preferences and teaching schedule. However, it is recommended to update the notebook at least once a week to ensure all important information is recorded in a timely manner.

5. Can a Mathematical Teacher's Notebook be used for other subjects?

While a Mathematical Teacher's Notebook is specifically designed for math educators, it can be adapted for other subjects as well. The format and organization may need to be adjusted, but the purpose of documenting lesson plans, teaching strategies, and student progress can be applied to any subject area.