MathematicaSimultaneous Inequalities?

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequalities
In summary, I would like to find the range of values of K such that the inequalities a[k], b[k], and c[k] are all satisfied. If not, then I will need to code it.
Saladsamurai
Hey guys,

I have some variables A,B, and C such that all must be greater then zero. A,B and C are all functions of K. I would like to find the range of values of K such that the 3 inequalities are satisfied.

Is there a function built into Mathematica that will do this? I could write a code, but I am kind of sick of coding right now :-p

If not..then code it is!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, as a quick response I know Reduce can sort of find the limits if you know what you're looking for.

Code:
a[k_] = (-1) k^3 + k^2 + 6;
b[k_] = Sin[k];
c[k_] = Cos[k];
Plot[{a[k], b[k], c[k]}, {k, 0, 3}]
Reduce[a[k] > 0 && b[k] > 0 && c[k] > 0, k] // FullSimplify

So the result :
c1 elem of Z OR c1 <= 0 OR 0 <k - 2 pi c1 < pi/2

Means its true if (looking at the second two) if c1(some constant) is negative, so that

k - 2 pi n < pi/2
basically the first solution being
0< k < pi/2 (which is the region that's positive where all three are positive).

It's not perfect, but its correct.

Hey there Hepth,

this is what I have:

A = 576 - 11819*K
B = 15848*K
C = C = 397119*K - 33.6*B/A

and I need to find the range of K such that A,B, and C all remain greater than 0.

A = 576 - 11819*k;
B = 15848*k;
CC = 397119*k - 33.6*B/A;
Plot[{A, B, CC}, {k, 0, 0.04862}, PlotRange -> {0, 1000}]
Reduce[A > 0 && B > 0 && CC > 0, k] // FullSimplify
Reduce[A > y && B > y && CC > y && y > 0, y] // FullSimplify

Gives for k : 0<k<0.0486216 (WHERE they're all positive)
And for Y (bounded by this region):
[tex]
y>0\land \left((k>0\land y<15848. k\land k\leq 0.020819)\lor (k>0.020819\land 11819. k+y<576.\land k\leq 0.0486216)\lor \left(k>0.0486216\land [/tex]
[tex]
\landk<0.0486216\land y<\frac{k (2.34677\times 10^{10} k-1.14104\times 10^9)}{59095. k-2880.}\right)\right)
[/tex]

Which, while ugly, describes that range and domain bounded by the functions. I think you're only asking for the first one though.

Last edited:
That is great Hepth! I think that will do the trick :smile: Thanks for your help.

Related to MathematicaSimultaneous Inequalities?

1. What is MathematicaSimultaneous Inequalities?

MathematicaSimultaneous Inequalities is a feature in the Mathematica software that allows you to solve a system of simultaneous inequalities. This feature is particularly useful in mathematical and scientific research where multiple inequalities need to be solved at once.

2. How do I input simultaneous inequalities in Mathematica?

To input simultaneous inequalities in Mathematica, you can use the "Reduce" function with the inequalities separated by a comma. For example, "Reduce[{x+y<5, x-y>2}, {x,y}]" will solve the system of inequalities and give the solution in terms of x and y.

3. Can MathematicaSimultaneous Inequalities handle complex inequalities?

Yes, MathematicaSimultaneous Inequalities can handle complex inequalities, including those involving trigonometric functions, logarithms, and exponents. However, the solutions may not always be in a simplified form.

4. Is it possible to graph the solutions of simultaneous inequalities in Mathematica?

Yes, Mathematica has a built-in function called "RegionPlot" that can graph the solutions of simultaneous inequalities. Simply input the inequalities as the first argument and the variable ranges as the second argument (e.g. "RegionPlot[x+y<5 && x-y>2, {x,-5,5}, {y,-5,5}]").

5. Can MathematicaSimultaneous Inequalities handle more than two variables?

Yes, MathematicaSimultaneous Inequalities can handle any number of variables. Simply input the inequalities and the variables you want the solutions to be in terms of (e.g. "Reduce[{x+y+z<10, x-y+z<5, y+z<2}, {x,y,z}]").