Mathematics for Engineers – Good courses, textbooks etc?

In summary, the conversation is about the difficulties the speaker is facing while trying to understand Stephen Pope's book "Turbulent Flows" due to their weakness in maths. They express their desire to work through a course in mathematics specifically designed for engineering, with physical examples, analogies, and visual aids. They ask for recommendations and the respondent suggests the book "Computer Methods for Mathematical Computations" by Forsythe, Malcolm, and Moler as a good starting point.
FluidStu
I am trying to work my way through Stephen Pope's "Turbulent Flows". I'm finding that my Achilles heel (as has been throughout my undergraduate degree) is maths. Since this book is essentially applied maths, I'm finding it difficult.

So I'd like to simultaneously work through a course in mathematics, specifically designed for engineering. A quick search on the internet reveals hundreds of different takes and approaches to teaching this subject.

My own preference would be something which incorporates physical examples (rather than working strictly in the mathematical domain). I enjoy the use of analogies, visual aids, memory aids etc. I also appreciate something which is well categorised (to create a kind of empty map which would be filled as one works though the course/textbook).

What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Mathematics for Engineers – Good courses, textbooks etc?

1. What are the most important topics to cover in a mathematics course for engineers?

The most important topics to cover in a mathematics course for engineers include calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, probability and statistics, and numerical methods. These topics are essential for solving engineering problems and understanding advanced engineering concepts.

2. What makes a good mathematics course for engineers?

A good mathematics course for engineers should have a balance between theory and practical application. It should also use real-world examples and problems to illustrate the concepts being taught. The course should also provide opportunities for students to practice and apply their knowledge through assignments and projects.

3. What are some recommended textbooks for a mathematics course for engineers?

Some recommended textbooks for a mathematics course for engineers include "Engineering Mathematics" by K.A. Stroud, "Advanced Engineering Mathematics" by Erwin Kreyszig, and "Mathematics for Engineers" by Anthony Croft and Robert Davison. These textbooks cover the essential topics and provide clear explanations and examples.

4. How important is mathematics for engineering students?

Mathematics is essential for engineering students as it provides the foundation for understanding and solving complex engineering problems. It also helps students develop critical thinking and analytical skills that are crucial for success in the engineering field.

5. Are there any online resources for learning mathematics specifically for engineering students?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning mathematics specifically for engineering students. Some popular ones include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Coursera. These resources offer video lectures, practice problems, and interactive activities to help students improve their math skills.