Mathmatics Needed: Learn Special & General Relativity

• Thread starter THE 1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathmatics
In summary: They're pretty basic, so any introductory textbook on special relativity should have information on them.
THE 1
I was just wondering if anyone is able to give me a list of mathmatical areas that i will need to learn before i am able to start to learn about the special and general therories of relativity?

Physics news on Phys.org
linear algebra(vectors/matices) and some basic knowledge of tensors and understanding mathematical proofs..oh yeah and how to take data from a diagram/graph

SR: Nothing really. Presumably you know basic calculus and linear algebra.

GR: They'll teach you most of the math as you go, but it's quite intensive. You should have classical mechanics and SR, and classical field theory (EM). Linear algebra is a strong prerequisite - the subject is heavy with multilinear algebra and tensors.

Last edited by a moderator:
THE 1 said:
I was just wondering if anyone is able to give me a list of mathmatical areas that i will need to learn before i am able to start to learn about the special and general therories of relativity?

To learn SR, you need only high school algebra.

To learn GR you will need tensor calculus and differential geometry - and a good knowledge of SR. Other elements of physics would also be extremely handy - for instance, a tensor-oriented view of SR & electromagnetism (ala Jackson), and some knowledge of classical hydrodynamics (much more sensible to learn it in flat space-time first than trying to master it in curved).

in addition to linear algebra (mentioned above),
learn euclidean and riemannian geometry using vector and tensor methods.
Learn to draw and interpret spacetime diagrams.

Pay attention to the mathematical definitions and their physical interpretation.

robphy said:
Learn to draw and interpret spacetime diagrams..

Do you know of any good websites where I could learn this?

THE 1 said:
Here is one for tensors:

http://vishnu.mth.uct.ac.za/omei/gr/

Do not start with this. You will use it much later , when you get to coordinate-independent SR/GR

Last edited by a moderator:
THE 1 said:
robphy said:
Learn to draw and interpret spacetime diagrams..

Have you googled spacetime diagrams?

FAQ: Mathmatics Needed: Learn Special & General Relativity

1. What is the difference between special and general relativity?

Special relativity deals with objects moving at constant speeds in a straight line, while general relativity deals with objects in accelerated motion or in the presence of gravity.

2. Why is it important to learn about relativity?

Relativity is a fundamental aspect of our understanding of the universe and is crucial in many fields of science, including physics, astronomy, and cosmology. It helps us explain and predict the behavior of objects in extreme conditions, such as near the speed of light or in the presence of massive objects.

3. Do I need to have a strong math background to learn about relativity?

While a strong understanding of calculus and linear algebra is helpful, a basic understanding of algebra and geometry is usually sufficient to grasp the concepts of special and general relativity. It is more important to have a strong conceptual understanding of the principles rather than being a math expert.

4. How does relativity impact our daily lives?

Relativity has practical applications in technology, such as GPS systems and particle accelerators, and also plays a role in modern technologies like nuclear power and MRI machines. However, the effects of relativity are only noticeable in extreme conditions and are not typically noticeable in our day-to-day lives.

5. Can relativity be proven?

While many of the predictions of relativity have been confirmed through experiments and observations, it is ultimately a scientific theory that is subject to modification or refinement as our understanding of the universe evolves. However, the evidence for relativity is overwhelming and it is widely accepted as a fundamental theory in modern physics.