Maths Mechanics (M1): Calculate Initial Velocity & Acceleration

• MHB
  • Thread starter Needhelp2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a particle moving with constant acceleration on a straight line. The initial position and two subsequent points on the particle's path are given, and the task is to calculate the initial velocity and acceleration. The conversation includes a failed attempt and a solution provided by someone else. The final solution is that the initial velocity is 15m/s and the acceleration is -0.4m/s^2.
Needhelp2
This question is probably impossibly easy, but I have been staring at it for half an hour now, and don't seem to be able to get the right answer :mad:, so any help would be great!

A particle P moves on a straight line with constant acceleration. At t=0, P passes through the point 0 on a line. When t=20, P passes through a point A, where OA=220m and when t=50, P passes through a point B where OB= 250m and AB=30m.

Calculate the initial velocity and acceleration of P.

This is what I did:

I spilt it into two equations, with my first being- 220=20u +200a and my second being- 250=50u + 1250a (using the suvat equation s= ut + 0.5at2)
I then sub in u= 11-10a as u = 220-200a into my second equation to get 250= 550-500a+1250a, and therefore my a = -3/7ms-2.

In my answer book it says the the acceleration = -0.4ms-2, and so I gave up trying to find u... does anyone know where I went wrong ( or even is the book wrong- it can be very unreliable!)

Thank you!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Needhelp said:
This question is probably impossibly easy, but I have been staring at it for half an hour now, and don't seem to be able to get the right answer :mad:, so any help would be great!

A particle P moves on a straight line with constant acceleration. At t=0, P passes through the point 0 on a line. When t=20, P passes through a point A, where OA=220m and when t=50, P passes through a point B where OB= 250m and AB=30m.

Calculate the initial velocity and acceleration of P.

This is what I did:

I spilt it into two equations, with my first being- 220=20u +200a and my second being- 250=50u + 1250a (using the suvat equation s= ut + 0.5at2)
I then sub in u= 11-10a as u = 220-200a into my second equation to get 250= 550-500a+1250a, and therefore my a = -3/7ms-2.

In my answer book it says the the acceleration = -0.4ms-2, and so I gave up trying to find u... does anyone know where I went wrong ( or even is the book wrong- it can be very unreliable!)

Thank you!

Under constant acceleration \(a\) the position \(s\) at time \(t\) is:

\[s(t)=\frac{at^2}{2}+v_0t+s_0\]

where \(v_0\) and \(s_0\) are the velocity and position at \(t=0\).

Then you are told that:

\(s(0)=s_0=0\)

and so using this and the next thing you are told:

\(s(20)=200a+20v_0=220\)

and again:

\(s(50)=1250a+50v_0=250\)

which gives you the pair of simultaneous equations:

\(200a+20v_0=220\)
\(1250a+50v_0=250\)

to solve (multiply the first by \(5\) and the second by \(2\) and subtract), which has solution \(a=-2/5\) and \(v_0=15\)

CB

Ahh so my method was right, it was just a stupid arithmetic error somewhere! Thank you so much!

Related to Maths Mechanics (M1): Calculate Initial Velocity & Acceleration

1. What is initial velocity?

Initial velocity is the velocity of an object at the beginning of a time interval.

2. How do you calculate initial velocity?

Initial velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in displacement by the change in time. Alternatively, it can also be calculated by using the equation: v = u + at, where v is final velocity, u is initial velocity, a is acceleration, and t is time.

3. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

4. How do you calculate acceleration?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. It can also be calculated by using the equation: a = (v-u)/t, where a is acceleration, v is final velocity, u is initial velocity, and t is time.

5. What is the difference between initial velocity and acceleration?

Initial velocity is the velocity of an object at the beginning of a time interval, while acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. In other words, initial velocity is the starting point of an object's motion, while acceleration describes how the velocity changes over time.