Maths problem(mechanics-friction)

• Thread starter jinx007
  • Start date
In summary, A particle of mass mkg is released from rest at point A, higher up a rough plane inclined at 30◦ to the horizontal. The particle reaches point B 1.5 seconds later, which is 2.25 meters away from point A. The coefficient of friction between the particle and the plane is needed to solve this problem. The book's answer is 0.346, but the provided method does not give the same result. The correct approach involves using equations of motion and drawing a diagram to label the forces acting on the particle.
jinx007
Maths problem(mechanics--friction)

A and B are points on the same line of greatest slope of a rough plane inclined at 30◦ to the horizontal.
A is higher up the plane than B and the distance AB is 2.25 m. A particle P, of mass mkg, is released
from rest at A and reaches B 1.5 s later. Find the coefficient of friction between P and the plane.

According to the book the answer is 0.346 and i cannot get the answer:

according to me: friction = mg sin 30

Reaction= mg c0s 30

using F = μ R

i replace but yet cannot get the right answer...please try to work it out i think my method is wrong..?

Physics news on Phys.org

jinx007 said:
A and B are points on the same line of greatest slope of a rough plane inclined at 30◦ to the horizontal.
A is higher up the plane than B and the distance AB is 2.25 m. A particle P, of mass mkg, is released
from rest at A and reaches B 1.5 s later. Find the coefficient of friction between P and the plane.

According to the book the answer is 0.346 and i cannot get the answer:

according to me: friction = mg sin 30

Reaction= mg c0s 30

using F = μ R

i replace but yet cannot get the right answer...please try to work it out i think my method is wrong..?

Your equation for friction is totally wrong, what you have there is the equation of the force of gravity on the particle acting down the plane. However your two next equations are correct. Try to make an overall force equation. I'd really recommend drawing a diagram and labelling the forces.

Other things you'll have to consider;

Equations of motion, (SUVAT), you have the distance between A & B, and the time second to pass from one to the other. What can you work out from those 2 pieces of information that would be helpful here? (we're considering forces...). Also bear in mind it starts from rest so u = 0.

FAQ: Maths problem(mechanics-friction)

1. What is friction in mechanics?

Friction in mechanics is a force that opposes the motion of two surfaces in contact with each other. It is caused by the irregularities and imperfections on the surface of the objects.

2. How is friction calculated in mechanics?

Friction is calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction, which is a measure of the roughness of the surfaces, by the normal force, which is the force exerted by one surface on the other.

3. How does friction affect the motion of objects?

Friction can either slow down or stop the motion of objects, or it can also cause objects to move in a different direction than intended. It also plays a role in the amount of force needed to move an object.

4. What are some real-life examples of friction in mechanics?

Examples of friction in mechanics include the brakes on a car slowing down the wheels, the grip of a tire on the road, and the friction between your feet and the floor when walking.

5. How can friction be reduced in mechanics?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, to create a smoother surface between objects. Reducing the weight of an object can also reduce the force of friction.

Back