Maths, ROTE and suffering at university

• Schools
  • Thread starter mrcleanhands
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary, the speaker is frustrated with their experience in university-level math courses. They find the pace to be rushed and struggle to gain an intuitive understanding of the concepts. They have tried to supplement their learning with additional resources, but still find it difficult. Other students in their class seem to have an easier time and the speaker is considering dropping the course. The speaker also shares their own method of studying and suggests taking an honors option for a more theoretical approach to math.
mrcleanhands
I picked maths up because I thought it would improve my ability to problem solve - but I found maths at university to be far from what I expected.

With all my undergrad subjects like calculus II, multi-variable and even linear algebra everything feels rushed and I have a very hard time getting an intuitive understanding of all the concepts. Often I'm then forced to ROTE learn some definitions and concepts. This realllyy really frustrates me because it's just something you can easily forget much later. I've spent countless hours reading extra on sites likes betterexplained.com but it's still not easy.

Other people in my class don't seem to care, say the understand it or say I'm just over-analytic and it doesn't matter.

Anyway, just wanted to know what other peoples experiences are etc as I'm thinking about dropping it as it's simply a huge workload and a lot of it is forcing me to ROTE.

Physics news on Phys.org
Some things you have to learn by rote (you can't derive your name or birthdate from first principles), but having done so, the best way to reinforce the acquisition of math definitions and concepts is to do practice problems. By doing a variety of problems and applying math concepts, this will help you to retain your understanding of the subject while you are continuing to learn it.

Unfortunately, that how it is in all the uni all over the world. You can't really "learn" something because there's no time. But, don't worry, this is normal. The universities don't have the purpose to make you learn, despite what you might think. The objective is to give you the opportunity to learn. They give professors not to teach you something, but to help you with your doubts. If you only depends on the professor to learn something you're not going to go far.
Here's what I do. During the semester I try to absorb as much knowledge as I can and during the vacation, where I usually write my articles and stuff I revise all the subject by my self proving every theorem on a special book I bought just for this. I do all the exercises, every single one of them, even the ones the professor said to not do because it is "not the focus of the course".
That helps me a lot, and improve my ability on my area. Consider do that yourself.

Many universities offer an "honors" option to the math sequence, which is designed for students planning on doing graduate work in math. What makes them different is that they teach math from a more theoretical standpoint and emphasize proofs and theorems over problems and solutions. You might get more satisfaction taking honors linear algebra over linear algebra, because you'll understand why the results are how they are. Check out if your university has it.

I can understand your frustration with the approach to learning math at university. While rote learning may be effective for some concepts, it is not the most efficient or effective way to truly understand and apply mathematical principles. It is unfortunate that the fast-paced nature of university courses often leaves little time for a deeper understanding of the material.

However, I would encourage you to not give up on math altogether. It is a fundamental tool in many scientific fields and can greatly improve your problem-solving skills. Instead of dropping the subject, perhaps consider seeking out additional resources or seeking help from a tutor or professor who can provide a more in-depth understanding of the concepts. It may also be helpful to discuss your concerns with your classmates and see if they have any tips or strategies for understanding the material better.

Remember, everyone learns differently and at their own pace. Just because others in your class may seem to understand the material easily does not mean you are over-analyzing or that it doesn't matter. Keep pushing yourself and finding ways to truly grasp the concepts, even if it takes extra time and effort. This will ultimately benefit you in the long run and make you a stronger scientist.

FAQ: Maths, ROTE and suffering at university

What is the relationship between Maths and ROTE?

The term ROTE refers to the process of learning through repetition and memorization. In the context of Maths, ROTE can be helpful for learning basic concepts and formulas, but it is not a substitute for understanding the underlying principles and problem-solving techniques.

How can ROTE learning impact students in university?

While ROTE learning may be effective for short-term memorization, it can hinder students from developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills. This can be particularly detrimental in university, where more complex and abstract concepts are introduced.

Is it possible to excel in Maths without ROTE learning?

Yes, it is possible to excel in Maths without relying on ROTE learning. In fact, developing a deep understanding of mathematical concepts and problem-solving techniques can lead to more long-term success and a deeper appreciation for the subject.

How can suffering be associated with studying Maths at university?

Studying Maths at university can be challenging and demanding, leading to feelings of frustration and stress. This can be compounded by the use of ROTE learning, which can make it difficult for students to fully grasp and apply more complex concepts.

What are some alternative learning strategies for Maths at university?

Some alternative learning strategies for Maths at university include actively engaging with the material through problem-solving, seeking out additional resources and support, and breaking down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts. Additionally, seeking help from professors or peers can also be beneficial in developing a deeper understanding of the subject.