Matlab and spreadsheet problem

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter Beer-monster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matlab
In summary, the speaker is having trouble analyzing a long sound file using a storage oscilloscope. They have split the file into consecutive samples using a computer, but are having difficulty combining the results for each separate run. They have tried modifying a MATLAB code and inputting the data in different ways, but are only getting a large peak and a few bumps instead of a suitable spectrum. The issue may be that MATLAB is only reading one of the fifteen seconds of data and requires a column vector instead of a matrix.
Beer-monster
Okay,avoiding a long story, for an experiment I'm having to analyse a long sound file using a storage oscilloscope. Th scope stores about a seconds worth of data as 10,000 datapoints on a csv sheet. The file I want to analyse is around 15 secs long, but I used a computer to split it into consecutive samples and played them one after the other.

Now my problem is I want to combine all the results for each separate run so that I can analyse all the data as if I recorded the file all at once. I modified a MATLAB code used to FT wav files to read spreadsheets using xlsread, and it seems to work for each data set individually, but not for all of them.

I've put all the data on a single spreadsheet and tried different ways to input it into matlab, including specifying the range in the code and direct import using the wizard, but I still don't get a suitable spectrum but rather one large peak and a couple of bumps. The only clue I have is that dispite the fact that I've in put arounf 150 thousand data points, MATLAB tells me there's only 10,000.

I'm sortry this is really hard to explain in text, but does anyone think they can guess where I'm going wrong?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like MATLAB is only reading one of the fifteen seconds of data.

Can you output the 15 or so sets of 10,000 data points individually? If so you could recombine them in matlab.

You mean combine the graphs?

Well I think my issue might be the code reads the spreadsheet as a matrix but requires a column vector. Is there a way to read a matrix and a long column?

Related to Matlab and spreadsheet problem

What is Matlab and how is it different from a spreadsheet?

Matlab is a programming language and numerical computing environment used for data analysis, visualization, and algorithm development. It is different from a spreadsheet in that it allows for more complex calculations and data manipulation, as well as the ability to create custom functions and scripts.

Can I import data from a spreadsheet into Matlab?

Yes, Matlab has built-in functions for importing data from common spreadsheet programs such as Excel and Google Sheets. This allows for easy integration of data from spreadsheets into Matlab for further analysis.

What are the advantages of using Matlab over a spreadsheet for data analysis?

One advantage is that Matlab can handle larger datasets and more complex calculations than a spreadsheet. It also has a wider range of tools and functions specifically designed for data analysis, making it a more powerful tool for scientific research.

Do I need to have programming experience to use Matlab?

No, Matlab is designed to be user-friendly and does not require extensive programming experience. However, some basic understanding of coding concepts and syntax can be helpful in fully utilizing its capabilities.

Can I export data from Matlab into a spreadsheet?

Yes, Matlab has functions for exporting data into various file formats, including spreadsheets. This allows for easy sharing and visualization of data with others who may not have access to Matlab.