Matlab: automated ommitting of letters from mutiple file names

In summary, the speaker is a new Matlab user who needs to remove the "daily" portion from 200 data sets with a specific naming format. They are looking for a script or help with using Matlab functions to automate this process. They also mention that this is not a homework assignment.
chowjonathan
Forgive me if this sounds really stupid. I am a new Matlab user, and I have about 200 data sets from various samples in the naming format "varname_sample_daily" and i wish to remove the "daily" portion of it from the variable name through an automated process (i.e change all file names to just "varname_sample").

I am not sure if there's a script that could help me with this rather than having to change them all manually (which I really dread). Would greatly appreciate if anyone can offer some help with this. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
is this homework for some class??
regardless take a look at the following Matlab functions
dir
movefile
substring
strfind

Related to Matlab: automated ommitting of letters from mutiple file names

1. How does Matlab automatically omit letters from multiple file names?

Matlab uses a built-in function called 'regexprep' to automatically remove specific letters or patterns from multiple file names. This function allows for flexible and efficient manipulation of file names based on user-defined rules.

2. What is the syntax for using 'regexprep' in Matlab?

The syntax for using 'regexprep' in Matlab is: regexprep(string, expression, replace). Here, 'string' refers to the original file name, 'expression' refers to the letters or patterns to be removed, and 'replace' refers to the replacement text or empty string.

3. Can 'regexprep' be used for more complex file name manipulations?

Yes, 'regexprep' can be used for more complex file name manipulations by using regular expressions. Regular expressions are patterns that define a set of characters to be searched for in a string. They offer a powerful and flexible way to manipulate file names in Matlab.

4. Is there a way to preview the changes before actually renaming the files?

Yes, Matlab allows for a preview of the changes before actually renaming the files. This can be done by using the 'dryrun' option in the 'regexprep' function. This option will show the changes that will be made without actually renaming the files.

5. Can 'regexprep' be used on other types of data besides file names?

Yes, 'regexprep' can be used on other types of data besides file names in Matlab. It can be applied to strings, cell arrays, and character arrays, making it a versatile tool for data manipulation in general.