MATLAB: Calling Out Matrix by Name w/ Index

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter Curl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matlab
In summary, you can use either genvarname or cell arrays to call out a matrix by name in MATLAB using an index. Cell arrays may be easier to implement in this scenario.
Curl
If I have a few matrices defined, say A1 A2 A3
I want to use a loop to call out these individually. I can't just do
for k=1:3
B(k) = funct( A(k) )+ etc...
end

since A(k) will call the kth element of "A" but what I want is to refer to the name of the matrix (by the number next to the letter A). So how do I call out a matrix by name in MATLAB using and index?

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to MATLAB: Calling Out Matrix by Name w/ Index

1. What is a matrix in MATLAB?

A matrix in MATLAB is a two-dimensional array of numbers or variables. It is used to store and manipulate data in a structured format.

2. How do I call out a specific matrix in MATLAB?

To call out a specific matrix in MATLAB, you need to use its name followed by the index of the element you want to access. For example, if your matrix is named "A" and you want to access the element in the third row and second column, you would write "A(3,2)".

3. Can I use a variable as an index when calling out a matrix in MATLAB?

Yes, you can use a variable as an index when calling out a matrix in MATLAB. This can be useful when you want to access different elements of a matrix based on some condition or calculation.

4. What happens if I try to call out a matrix element that does not exist?

If you try to call out a matrix element that does not exist, MATLAB will return an error message. It is important to make sure that your index values are within the dimensions of the matrix.

5. Is it possible to call out multiple elements of a matrix at once in MATLAB?

Yes, it is possible to call out multiple elements of a matrix at once in MATLAB. This is known as indexing by concatenation and can be done using the colon operator. For example, if you want to access the entire second row of a matrix, you would write "A(2,:)".