Matlab - creating Gaussian noise

In summary, Gaussian noise in Matlab is a type of random noise that follows a Gaussian distribution. It can be created using the randn function and added to an existing signal using the awgn function. Gaussian noise can be visualized by plotting a histogram or the noise values over time. It can also be removed from a signal using filtering techniques such as a low-pass or median filter.
fizzziks
Does anyone know how to create a matrix of complex Gaussian noise (with unit power = 1 and mean of zero)? I need to define a test sample for my algorithm, but I'm stuck at defining my test bench.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
A = randn(n,n)
B = randn(n,n)
C = A + j*B

There are a few ways you can create a matrix of complex Gaussian noise in Matlab with the desired properties of unit power and mean of zero. One approach is to use the built-in function `randn` to generate a matrix of normally distributed random numbers with a mean of zero and a standard deviation of 1. You can then convert these numbers to complex values using the `complex` function and multiply by a scaling factor to achieve the desired unit power. Another approach is to use the `wgn` function to generate complex white Gaussian noise with a specified power level and then adjust the mean to zero using the `center` option. I would recommend looking into these functions and playing around with their parameters to see which approach works best for your specific needs. Additionally, there are many online resources and forums where you can find more specific examples and code snippets for creating complex Gaussian noise in Matlab. I hope this helps and good luck with your algorithm testing!

Related to Matlab - creating Gaussian noise

1. What is Gaussian noise in Matlab?

Gaussian noise in Matlab is a type of random noise that follows a Gaussian distribution. It is also known as normal noise and is commonly used to simulate random errors or disturbances in data.

2. How do I create Gaussian noise in Matlab?

To create Gaussian noise in Matlab, you can use the randn function. This function generates random numbers that follow a Gaussian distribution with a mean of 0 and a standard deviation of 1. You can then adjust the mean and standard deviation to customize the noise.

3. Can I add Gaussian noise to an existing signal in Matlab?

Yes, you can add Gaussian noise to an existing signal in Matlab by using the awgn function. This function adds Gaussian noise to a signal with a specified signal-to-noise ratio (SNR). The higher the SNR, the less noise will be added to the signal.

4. How can I visualize Gaussian noise in Matlab?

You can visualize Gaussian noise in Matlab by plotting a histogram of the noise values. This will show the distribution of the noise and allow you to see if it follows a Gaussian distribution. You can also plot the noise values over time to see how it affects a signal.

5. Can I remove Gaussian noise from a signal in Matlab?

Yes, you can remove Gaussian noise from a signal in Matlab by using a variety of filtering techniques such as a low-pass filter or a median filter. These filters can help to reduce the impact of noise on a signal and improve its overall quality.