MATLAB Filter command for BSFC map

In summary, the conversation discusses creating a BSFC plot in MATLAB with engine data tested on an eddie current dyno. The code used for it involves using a grid and contour function. The question posed is how to use the filter function to smooth out the curves in the plot. A suggestion is made to use the curve fitting tool in MATLAB for better results.
Alex91
Hi all,

I have made a BSFC plot in MATLAB with engine data tested on an eddie current dyno, The code I used for it is:

>> NP=40;
>> [RP TP]=meshgrid(linspace(min(RPM),max(RPM),NP),linspace(min(Torque),max(Torque),NP));
>> BSFC_IT=griddata(RPM,Torque,BSFC,RP,TP);
>> NC=12;
>> Fig1=figure;
>> [CT HT]=contourf(RP,TP,BSFC_IT,round(logspace(log10(210),log10(400),NC)));
>> colorbar;
>> %clabel(CT,HT);
>> xlabel('Engine Speed (rpm)')
>> ylabel('Torque (Nm)')
>> title('Contours of BSFC (g/kWh)')

With all my data this gave me a contour plot that looks like the image I have attached and this is after fiddling with all of the data to make it look 'pretty'.

I know you can use the filter function to smooth out plots, so my question is, how can I use the filter function to smooth out the curves with the complex code I have?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Alex

Attachments

• BSFCmap.jpg
    BSFCmap.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 1,757
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, I was working on the same issue. I tried some tools like gridfit and griddata, but the best result was using the curve fitting tool built in Matlab. If you have a modern version it is has a visual interface, you can find it under apps toolstrip. it is so simple you just specify x,y,z data and give good interpolated smooth results, I was able to plot this with only 60 data readings. Hope this helps!
bsfc.png

Related to MATLAB Filter command for BSFC map

1. What is the MATLAB Filter command for BSFC map?

The MATLAB Filter command for BSFC map is a built-in function that applies a filter to a given set of data points on a Brake Specific Fuel Consumption (BSFC) map. This filter helps to smooth out any noise or irregularities in the data, making it easier to analyze and interpret.

2. How does the MATLAB Filter command work?

The MATLAB Filter command works by using a mathematical algorithm called a filter function, which takes in a set of data points and applies a smoothing function to them. This function removes any high-frequency noise or fluctuations in the data, resulting in a smoother curve or surface on the BSFC map.

3. What are the inputs and outputs of the MATLAB Filter command?

The inputs of the MATLAB Filter command are the data points on the BSFC map and the filter function to be applied. The output is the filtered data, which can then be plotted on the BSFC map to visualize any trends or patterns more clearly.

4. Can the MATLAB Filter command be customized?

Yes, the MATLAB Filter command can be customized by adjusting the filter function and its parameters. The type of filter used, the cutoff frequency, and the filter order can all be modified to suit the specific needs of the BSFC map analysis.

5. Are there any limitations to using the MATLAB Filter command for BSFC map?

One limitation of using the MATLAB Filter command for BSFC map is that it may oversmooth the data, leading to the loss of important information. It is important to choose the right filter function and adjust its parameters carefully to avoid this issue.