Matlab Map Projection Plot: How to Plot Supernovae Coordinates on a Hammer Plot

In summary, the individual is looking for advice on how to plot coordinates of Supernovae onto a hammer plot, but has been unable to find relevant information online. They only have basic knowledge of MATLAB and are open to using the polar plot function.
birdhen
Hi there,

I am trying to plot the coordinates of Supernovae onto what I think is known as a hammer plot i.e a 2D plot representing the surface of a sphere. I have no idea how to do this, and have been searching the internet to no avail. Can anyone offer any advice ? I only have a basic knowledge of Matlab.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, I've never heard of a hammer plot, and a search for it (even in quotes, which looks for exactly that phrase) turns up nothing of relevance (though it does turn up your post, and a link to the Hebrew Hammer, which I thought was a hilarious movie).

Perhaps you can make something work with MATLAB's polar plot function? You'd probably have to figure out how to plot lines for appropriate lobes (like a one-piece orange skin) but you can probably work something out:
http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/ref/polar.html

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for assistance with plotting Supernovae coordinates on a Hammer plot in Matlab. I am happy to provide some guidance for you.

To begin, you will need to have the coordinates of the Supernovae in a format that can be read by Matlab. This could be in the form of a text file, Excel spreadsheet, or other data file. Once you have your coordinates, you can use the "plot" function in Matlab to create a scatter plot of the points on the Hammer projection.

To ensure that your plot is properly scaled and centered, you may need to use the "axis" function to set the limits and center of your plot. You can also use the "title" and "xlabel" and "ylabel" functions to add labels to your plot.

If you are not familiar with the Hammer projection, you may want to do some research on the projection and its properties before attempting to plot your data. This will help you understand how the coordinates will be represented on the plot.

I hope this helps get you started on plotting your Supernovae coordinates on a Hammer plot in Matlab. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck!

FAQ: Matlab Map Projection Plot: How to Plot Supernovae Coordinates on a Hammer Plot

1. What is the purpose of using a map projection plot in Matlab?

The purpose of using a map projection plot in Matlab is to visually represent data on a two-dimensional map or globe. This allows for the visualization of spatial relationships and patterns in the data.

2. How do I plot supernovae coordinates on a hammer plot in Matlab?

To plot supernovae coordinates on a hammer plot in Matlab, you will need to first define the coordinates using the longitude and latitude values. Then, use the scatter() function to plot the data points on the hammer projection.

3. Can I customize the appearance of the hammer plot in Matlab?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of the hammer plot in Matlab by adjusting various parameters such as the color, size, and marker type of the data points. You can also add other elements such as a legend or title to the plot.

4. How do I add additional data to the hammer plot?

To add additional data to the hammer plot, you can use the plot() or scatter() functions to add new data points or lines to the existing plot. You can also use the hold on command to plot multiple sets of data on the same hammer projection.

5. What other types of map projections are available in Matlab?

There are several other types of map projections available in Matlab, including Mercator, Robinson, Mollweide, and Lambert Azimuthal Equal Area. Each projection has its own strengths and limitations, so it is important to choose the appropriate one for your specific data and visualization goals.