Matlab, maple notation problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with typing the '^' symbol in MATLAB R13 and Maple9.5 on a Linux Debian box. The solution provided is to use '\^' instead. There is also a suggestion to use two '^' for it to work in Matlab. Some participants suggest that it may be a Java problem and suggest upgrading to solve the issue.
hoerl
hello

i have a very special probelm
with MATLAB R13 and maple9.5 on a linux debian box

i could not type the '^' symbol within those progs (just in there),
which is of course very nasty -- in maple '**' does the same as the hat symbol but what todo in MATLAB ?

does anybody had the same problem and knows a solution for it ?

thx in advance

PS: please apologize my rude english (non-native)

Physics news on Phys.org
Try this: '\^'

I got a warning telling me that ^ was the character used for tex, so I just added the backslash and it worked fine.

I don't have that problem in Maple but in Matlab, typing a single '^' does not work either. However typeing two produces one. Have you tried that?

seems to be a java problem

http://www.mathworks.com/support/solutions/data/1-1AF8K.html?solution=1-1AF8K

same game like always -- upgrade and your problems would be solved -- nice try to get even more money :-((

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I'm using R14 on linux, but I'm also using the blackdown java vm, not sun's. Maybe that's why I don't have this issue.

Related to Matlab, maple notation problem

What is Matlab?

Matlab is a high-level programming language and interactive environment commonly used in scientific and engineering fields. It allows users to perform complex numerical computations and create visualizations.

What is Maple notation?

Maple notation, also known as mathematical notation, is a system of symbols and rules used to represent mathematical expressions and equations. It is commonly used in mathematical software programs like Matlab and Maple.

What is a problem in Matlab using Maple notation?

A problem in Matlab using Maple notation refers to a mathematical task or calculation that needs to be performed using the Maple notation system within the Matlab environment. This could include solving equations, creating graphs, or performing other numerical computations.

How do I use Maple notation in Matlab?

To use Maple notation in Matlab, you can either type the mathematical notation directly into the command window or use the "sym" function to create symbolic variables and expressions. You can also use the "maple" function to convert Maple notation into Matlab syntax.

Can I use Maple notation in other programming languages?

No, Maple notation is specific to mathematical software programs like Matlab and Maple. Other programming languages have their own systems for representing and manipulating mathematical expressions, such as Python's "SymPy" library or R's "expression" class.