Matlab - plotting huge amounts of data

In summary: Not sure if I am right, but I might give it a try. I am new to MATLAB.What if you try something like :v = start : spacing : endwhere v is the vector containing the starting value, increment value (optional) and finally the end value. example : v = 1:10 % this will create a vector from 1 to 10v = 1:2:10 % this will give 1 3 5 7 9 11You might also type "help linspace" in your MATLAB command window, maybe that command is useful to you.
eurekameh
I have a table of 100 data points. I want to plot this on Matlab. Is there any other way for me to do this other than making an array for each column and then plotting it?

Physics news on Phys.org
First off, 100 points is not huge. Not sure what you mean by "making an array for each column". What have you tried? Show what you tried.

Sorry for the confusion. I meant making an x and y column vector and then just plotting them with each other. I know 100 points is not huge, but when typing in these 100 data points directly into Matlab, it is a lot.

For example,
x = [x1 x2 x3 ...]';
y = [y1 y2 y3 ...]';
plot(x,y);

where x1, x2, y1, y2 are the discrete data points, and if I have something like a hundred of these, it can seem like a lot. What I'm trying to ask is if there is another way that I can plot x vs. y without having to directly type all of these data points into Matlab.

Not sure if I am right, but I might give it a try. I am new to MATLAB.

what if you try something like :

v = start : spacing : end

where v is the vector containing the starting value, increment value (optional) and finally the end value.

example : v = 1:10 % this will create a vector from 1 to 10

v = 1:2:10 % this will give 1 3 5 7 9

You might also type "help linspace" in your MATLAB command window, maybe that command is useful to you.

Good luck.

eurekameh said:
where x1, x2, y1, y2 are the discrete data points, and if I have something like a hundred of these, it can seem like a lot. What I'm trying to ask is if there is another way that I can plot x vs. y without having to directly type all of these data points into Matlab.

Where do these data points reside right now?

If you have those datapoints in Excel you could just import them into MATLAB

FAQ: Matlab - plotting huge amounts of data

1. How can I plot large datasets in Matlab efficiently?

In order to plot large datasets in Matlab efficiently, it is important to use vectorization techniques and avoid using loops whenever possible. This will help reduce the processing time and memory usage. Additionally, utilizing built-in functions specific for handling large datasets, such as "plotyy" or "plotmatrix," can also improve efficiency.

2. What are some methods for visualizing large datasets in Matlab?

Some common methods for visualizing large datasets in Matlab include using scatter plots, histograms, and line plots. These plots can be enhanced by adding color, markers, and labels to help distinguish different data points and make the visualization more informative.

3. How can I customize the appearance of my plot in Matlab?

There are several ways to customize the appearance of your plot in Matlab. You can change the color, style, and size of the lines, markers, and axes. Additionally, you can add titles, labels, and legends to make your plot more informative. Matlab also allows you to save your plots in different formats for further customization using external tools.

4. Can I plot multiple large datasets in the same plot in Matlab?

Yes, you can plot multiple large datasets in the same plot in Matlab. This can be done by using the "hold on" command to prevent previous plots from being overwritten. You can also use the "subplot" function to create multiple plots in the same figure, each representing a different dataset.

5. How can I handle missing data points while plotting large datasets in Matlab?

Matlab has built-in functions that can handle missing data points, such as "plot" and "scatter." These functions automatically ignore missing data points and plot the remaining data. Additionally, you can use the "NaN" value to represent missing data, and Matlab will not plot these values.