Matlab Problem, not understanding what they are asking for

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter LakeMountD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matlab
In summary, The formula for M in this particular circuit is M=(R*C*w)/sqrt((1-L*C*w^2)+(R*C*w)^2). The frequency at which M is a max is the frequency of the desired carrier signal. To determine this frequency, you will need to take the derivative of M with respect to w and set it to zero. This assumes that R, C, and L are constants.
LakeMountD
The following formula is a function of the radian frequency w of the input voltage. Formulas for M are derived in elementary electrical circuits courses. For this particular circuit, M is given by:

M=(R*C*w)/sqrt((1-L*C*w^2)+(R*C*w)^2)

The frequency at which M is a max. is the frequency of the desired carrier signal.

a) Determine this frequency as a function of R, C, and L

It isn't that the programming on this is tough but I just don't understand if they are asking for me to make it like M(R,C,L), meaning set R,C,L to x and then make it a function of x, or if they are saying to find the max of the functions M(R), M(L), and M(C). They aren't giving me any values so I am getting a little confused.

I was just going to take the derivative of the function (the max) and figure it out that way but do I need to take it of one function or of all three?

Physics news on Phys.org
You will have to take the derivative of M with respect to w and set that to zero. That being said, this assumes that R, C and L are constants which is usually the case.

It seems like the problem is asking for the frequency at which M is at its maximum value, given the values of R, C, and L. In other words, you are trying to find the w value that will result in the largest possible value for M. To do this, you can take the derivative of the function with respect to w and set it equal to 0, then solve for w. This will give you the frequency at which M is at its maximum value. You do not need to take the derivatives of M with respect to R, C, and L separately. Just plug in the values of R, C, and L into the formula and solve for w.

Related to Matlab Problem, not understanding what they are asking for

1. What is Matlab and how is it used in scientific research?

Matlab is a programming language and software platform commonly used in scientific research for data analysis, visualization, and algorithm development. It is particularly useful for handling large datasets and complex mathematical calculations.

2. How do I know if I am understanding what a Matlab problem is asking for?

One way to ensure that you understand a Matlab problem is to carefully read the instructions and requirements. It can also be helpful to break down the problem into smaller steps and review the necessary functions and syntax needed to solve it.

3. What are some common mistakes when solving Matlab problems?

Some common mistakes when solving Matlab problems include incorrect use of syntax, not initializing variables properly, and not understanding the order of operations. It is important to double check your code and use the debugging tools available in Matlab to catch any errors.

4. Can I use online resources or ask for help when solving a Matlab problem?

Yes, it is acceptable to use online resources and ask for help when solving a Matlab problem. However, it is important to properly cite any external sources and make sure you understand the solution rather than simply copying and pasting code.

5. How can I improve my proficiency in solving Matlab problems?

The best way to improve your proficiency in solving Matlab problems is to practice regularly. You can also attend workshops, read tutorials, and work on challenging problems to expand your knowledge and skills. Collaborating with others and seeking feedback can also be beneficial.