MATLAB: Solving Error with Huge Integral Calculs

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter Sabine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matlab
In summary, the speaker is asking for help with a MATLAB program that requires a large number of integrals. They are experiencing an error related to a large integer and are seeking advice on how to solve it. They are also advised to use debugging tools to pinpoint the exact issue.
Sabine
I am asking MATLAB to run a program I created. This program requires a huge calcul of integrals. If I reduce the number of integrals (which I can't if I want to study the real case) the program gives me a correct result. But if I keep it with all his calculs (nearly 1200 integrals), I have the answer :" Error, (in csgn) integer too large in context ". Why is that and how can I solve it?

thx in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Sabine said:
I am asking MATLAB to run a program I created. This program requires a huge calcul of integrals. If I reduce the number of integrals (which I can't if I want to study the real case) the program gives me a correct result. But if I keep it with all his calculs (nearly 1200 integrals), I have the answer :" Error, (in csgn) integer too large in context ". Why is that and how can I solve it?

thx in advance

I don't know this exact error, but you should set a breakpoint, or toggle the "stop if error" breakpoint option. You'll be able to figure out exactly where (as in which line) your script is breaking down. More MATLAB M-File debugging tips:
http://www.mathworks.com/support/tech-notes/1200/1207.html

(BTW, you may want to run the intmax command: returns the maximum integer size on your system, which may or may not tell you why the command is failing).

Hi Sabine,

I don't understand your PM. If you don't know how to set breakpoints, or set the "stop if error" option, see Section 7 in the link above.

FAQ: MATLAB: Solving Error with Huge Integral Calculs

1. What is MATLAB and how is it used for solving errors with huge integral calculations?

MATLAB is a high-level programming language and interactive environment commonly used in scientific and engineering applications. It has built-in functions and tools for solving mathematical problems, including integral calculations. It allows for efficient and accurate computation of integrals, making it a useful tool for solving errors with large integrals.

2. What causes errors in integral calculations and how does MATLAB help to solve them?

Errors in integral calculations can occur due to various reasons, such as rounding errors, improper integration technique, and incorrect input. MATLAB provides a robust and reliable platform for solving these errors by using advanced numerical algorithms, adaptive integration methods, and error control techniques.

3. Can MATLAB handle all types of integrals, including those with singularities or discontinuities?

Yes, MATLAB has the capability to handle a wide range of integrals, including those with singularities or discontinuities. It has specialized functions and methods for handling different types of integrals, such as singular integrals, improper integrals, and piecewise-defined integrals.

4. How can I optimize my MATLAB code for solving large integral calculations efficiently?

To optimize your MATLAB code for solving large integral calculations efficiently, you can use techniques such as vectorization, preallocation, and parallel computing. These methods can help reduce the computation time and improve the performance of your code.

5. Are there any resources available to help with troubleshooting errors in integral calculations using MATLAB?

Yes, there are various online resources available, such as official MATLAB documentation, user forums, and tutorials, that can help with troubleshooting errors in integral calculations. Additionally, seeking help from experts or attending workshops on MATLAB can also be beneficial in solving errors with large integrals.