MATLAB Thevenin: Find Solution to Impedance Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses using MATLAB to solve a problem involving finding Thevenin of a circuit with current source, inductor, and capacitor in series. The speaker encounters issues when adding in imaginary numbers and provides equations and input for MATLAB. However, the result is a warning that the matrix is singular. The conversation ends with a request for a circuit diagram for more context.
studderbox
Hello all, been a fan for a long time but finally joined to ask a question =P

Solving Thevenin using MATLAB

Problem is when i add in imaginary numbers

ex: find Thevenin of circuit;
current source xL and xC all in series.

i get equations

-i + xL(i1-i2) + xC(i1-i2) = 0
xL(i2-i1) + xC(i2-i1) +/- 1 = 0

inputting into MATLAB =>

i= 0.96195 +.871557i
xL = 1ki
xC = -10ki

f=[(1000i-10000i) (-1000i+10000i); (-1000i+10000i) (1000i-10000i)]
c=[9.96195+.871557i; 1]
v1=1
is=f\c

>> results in

Warning: Matrix is singular to working precision.

ans =

NaN + NaNi
NaN + NaNi

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you upload the circuit diagram

Related to MATLAB Thevenin: Find Solution to Impedance Problem

1. What is MATLAB Thevenin and how does it work?

MATLAB Thevenin is a tool used in MATLAB to solve impedance problems. It works by simplifying a complex circuit into a single voltage source and a single resistance, making it easier to analyze and solve for unknown parameters.

2. How do I use MATLAB Thevenin to find the solution to an impedance problem?

To use MATLAB Thevenin, you will need to first input the circuit parameters (such as resistances and voltage sources) into MATLAB. Then, use the "thevenin" function to find the equivalent Thevenin voltage and resistance. Finally, use these values to solve for the desired unknown parameters in the circuit.

3. Can MATLAB Thevenin be used for both AC and DC circuits?

Yes, MATLAB Thevenin can be used for both AC and DC circuits. However, it is important to note that the calculations and equations used may differ slightly for each type of circuit.

4. What are the advantages of using MATLAB Thevenin over traditional methods of solving impedance problems?

MATLAB Thevenin offers several advantages over traditional methods of solving impedance problems. It is faster and more accurate, as it uses advanced algorithms and numerical techniques. It also allows for easier visualization and manipulation of circuit parameters.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using MATLAB Thevenin?

One limitation of using MATLAB Thevenin is that it requires a basic understanding of MATLAB programming. Additionally, it may not be suitable for more complex circuits with non-linear elements. It is always important to double-check the results obtained from using MATLAB Thevenin, as with any computational tool.