MATLABCan it do Symbolic Manipulations?

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the Symbolic Math Toolbox in MATLAB. While it is only available on 32-bit installations for Windows, it is available for both 32-bit and 64-bit installations for Linux. However, the Toolbox is not able to recognize cosh/sinh functions when simplifying equations.
Saladsamurai
For example: If I have some ridiculously long equation, and I want to solve it for 'x' can it do it?

I know that there are better software packages that can handle symbolic notation like Mathematica, but I would like for my output to be in the style of MATLAB.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have the Symbolic Math Toolbox, then yes.

- Warren

Oooh...I think I just might!

Keep in mind that SMT is only available on 32bit installations of Matlab in the Windows environment, if you've got the 64bit variation installed, then congratulations you don't have SMT. Oddly enough SMT is available in 64bit Matlab for for the linux environment.

I just figured I'd throw out the heads up since I wasted a day trying to figure out why 'syms' wasn't recognized on my 64bit MATLAB install.

there is MATLAB for the linux environment? got have that...

Just for the record, Sym. Math Toolbox is not aware of cosh/sinh functions when simplifying equations. It can't see them.

FAQ: MATLABCan it do Symbolic Manipulations?

1. Can MATLAB be used for symbolic manipulations?

Yes, MATLAB has a Symbolic Math Toolbox that allows for symbolic manipulations such as solving equations, performing calculus operations, and simplifying expressions.

2. How do I access the Symbolic Math Toolbox in MATLAB?

The Symbolic Math Toolbox can be accessed by purchasing it separately or by having a MATLAB license that includes the toolbox. Once it is installed, you can access it by typing "syms" in the command window.

3. What types of symbolic manipulations can be performed in MATLAB?

MATLAB's Symbolic Math Toolbox allows for a wide range of symbolic manipulations including algebraic operations, calculus operations, solving equations, simplifying expressions, and creating symbolic functions and variables.

4. Can I use MATLAB for both numerical and symbolic calculations?

Yes, MATLAB is a versatile programming language that allows for both numerical and symbolic calculations. The Symbolic Math Toolbox can be used in combination with MATLAB's numerical capabilities to solve complex mathematical problems.

5. Is MATLAB the best option for symbolic manipulations?

While MATLAB's Symbolic Math Toolbox is a powerful tool for symbolic manipulations, there are other software options available that may be more suitable for specific tasks. It is best to research and compare different options to determine which is the best for your particular needs.