Matrix Component Equation: Solving for B with Known Scalar and Indices

• I
  • Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
You've really helped me understand the problem better and have given me some great tricks to use in the future.
member 428835
Solve $$A_{ij} = c B_{ij}+B_{kk} \delta_{ij}$$ for ##B## where ##c## is a known scalar and ##i,j,k## are indices and range either ##1,2,3## and ##\delta_{ij}## which is the Kronecker Delta..

I've thought to write this into a matrix but I'm unsure what to do with the ##B_{kk}##. Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.

(This is from a book, so not exactly homework Thanks!

Josh

Physics news on Phys.org
One of the very useful techniques to use when solving such matrix equations is to take the trace of the equation and then substitute the result back in. I am assuming the Einstein summation convention in being applied so that ##B_{kk}## actually means ##B_{11}+B_{22}+B_{33}##. Taking the trace yields ##A_{ii}=(c+3)B_{kk}##, so you just substitute ##B_{kk}## back in and you are done.

This technique is very useful, so hopefully you will remember it to apply to other problems.

Likes member 428835
Thanks for replying Lucas! So are you saying to rewrite the equation as $$A_{ij} = c B_{ij} + \frac{c}{c+3} A_{kk} \delta_{ij} \implies \\ B_{ij} = \frac{1}{c}A_{ij} - \frac{1}{c+3} A_{kk}\delta_{ij}$$ This totally makes sense! So that I understand, you use this trick whenever you have ##X_{ii}##, right? Also, do you have any other fancy tricks? :)

In the first line it is ##\frac{1}{c+3}## instead of what you wrote. Apart form that it is correct. Also I just realized that ##c+3## must be different than ##0## for this to work, otherwise you find ##A## to be traceless.

joshmccraney said:
This totally makes sense! So that I understand, you use this trick whenever you have XiiXiiX_{ii}, right?

Not necessarely, although that may be a strong indicator to use it. Use it whenever you want a way to reduce the degrees of freedom of the equation. When taking the trace you reduce the freedom from ##n^2## to ##1## for ##n## by ##n## matrices.

In general a matrix will have ##n^2## components, and it can always be separated into a symmetric and antisymmetric part. The symmetric has ##n(n+1)/2## independent components while an antisymmetric part has ##n(n-1)/2## independent components. The symmetric part can be further separated into traceless part and trace. So taking the trace is analogous to computing a component of a matrix equation. You can also symmetrize or antisymmetrize to reduce the number of equations.

Another very useful technique is diagonlising one of the matrices. This can help simplify a particular problem.

Thanks for catching the algebra mistake, and thanks for all your help!

Related to Matrix Component Equation: Solving for B with Known Scalar and Indices

1. What is a matrix-component equation?

A matrix-component equation is an equation that involves multiple matrices and their individual elements, also known as components. It is used to represent relationships between different matrices and can be solved to find the values of the unknown components.

2. How do you solve a matrix-component equation?

To solve a matrix-component equation, you can use various methods such as substitution, elimination, or Gaussian elimination. These methods involve manipulating the equations to isolate the unknown components and then solving for their values.

3. What are some applications of matrix-component equations in science?

Matrix-component equations are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. They can be used to model and solve systems of linear equations, analyze complex systems, and perform transformations in computer graphics.

4. Can matrix-component equations have multiple solutions?

Yes, depending on the number of unknown components and the number of equations, a matrix-component equation can have multiple solutions or no solution at all. In some cases, there may also be infinite solutions if the equations are redundant.

5. How can matrix-component equations be represented graphically?

Matrix-component equations can be represented graphically by plotting the individual components on a coordinate plane. The relationships between the components can then be visualized as lines, curves, or other shapes, depending on the equations involved.