Matrix Determinant with Added Rows: How Does Multiplication Affect Calculation?

In summary, Nick is having trouble applying the determinant rules to solve a homework problem. He is asked to expand the second matrix to solve for two dets.
nicknaq

Homework Statement

matrix A= [v1,v2,v3,v4]^T and detA=4
then what is det [9v1+7v4, v2, v3, 9v4+4v1]^T ?

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that my problem is identical to the problem encountered in https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=431395"
However, I don't know how the addition of 7v4 and 4v1 (for rows 1 and 4, respectively) will alter the calculation. I know that adding 4v1 is different than usual because row 1 has been multiplied by 9. Similarly, adding 7v4 is different because row 4 has been multiplied by 9. But what happens first? And how does it affect the det calculation?

Thank you,
Nick

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you multiply one row (or column) of a determinant by a number, the entire determinant is multiplied by that number. If you add a multiple of one row (or column) to another, the determinant stays the same. (If you swap two rows (or columns) you multiply the determinant by -1 but that does not happen here.)

I understand the rules. I'm having troubles applying them.

Here's what I gather:
v1 : 9v1+7v4 --> 9v1+7*(4v1+9v4) = 37v1 + 63v4
v4 : 4v1+9v4--> 9v4+4*(9v1+7v4)= 37v4 + 36v1

Thus the det should be 4*37*37. But that is incorrect. Where is my error?

yo ur that guy from the warums lol

huh?

It's the same answer as in the other thread. det[9v1+7v4, v2, v3, 9v4+4v1]=det[9v1,v2,v3,9v4+4v1]+det[7v4,v2,v3,9v4+4v1]. Now expand in the fourth row or column or whatever.

Dick said:
It's the same answer as in the other thread. det[9v1+7v4, v2, v3, 9v4+4v1]=det[9v1,v2,v3,9v4+4v1]+det[7v4,v2,v3,9v4+4v1]. Now expand in the fourth row or column or whatever.
sorry but I'm still not getting it.

given those matrices, my det should be (9*9*4)+(9*7*4), no?

nicknaq said:
sorry but I'm still not getting it.

given those matrices, my det should be (9*9*4)+(9*7*4), no?

No. If you expand the second two you'll get 4 dets. Two of them will be zero. Two of them will be nonzero. Which ones are nonzero and what's the value of each one?

Dick said:
No. If you expand the second two you'll get 4 dets. Two of them will be zero. Two of them will be nonzero. Which ones are nonzero and what's the value of each one?

What do you mean by "expand" the second matrix?

nicknaq said:
What do you mean by "expand" the second matrix?

Determinants are linear. E.g. det(a+b,c,d,e)=det(a,c,d,e)+det(b,c,d,e). That's what I mean by "expand".

Ugh. I give up.

Thanks for trying. My fault, not yours.

nicknaq said:
Ugh. I give up.

Thanks for trying. My fault, not yours.

S'ok, but you are giving up on a pretty easy problem, really. If you want to give it another shot did you follow what I did in post 8 given the rule I gave in post 12? If you just want to pack it in, that's ok too.

Related to Matrix Determinant with Added Rows: How Does Multiplication Affect Calculation?

What is a matrix determinant?

A matrix determinant is a numerical value that represents the scaling factor of a matrix. It is calculated using a specific formula and is used to determine properties of a matrix, such as whether it is invertible or singular.

How is a matrix determinant calculated?

The determinant of a matrix is calculated by expanding along any row or column, using the Laplace expansion formula. This involves multiplying the elements of the selected row or column by their corresponding cofactors and then adding or subtracting them, depending on their position in the matrix.

What is the significance of the determinant in linear algebra?

The determinant is a fundamental concept in linear algebra and has many important applications. It is used to determine whether a system of linear equations has a unique solution, to find the inverse of a matrix, and to calculate the area or volume of a geometric shape transformed by a matrix.

How can the determinant be used to solve a system of linear equations?

If the determinant of a matrix is non-zero, then the system of linear equations has a unique solution. This is because a non-zero determinant indicates that the matrix is invertible, meaning it has an inverse matrix that can be used to solve the system.

What happens to the determinant when two matrices are multiplied together?

When two matrices are multiplied together, the determinant of the resulting matrix is equal to the product of the determinants of the original matrices. In other words, det(AB) = det(A) * det(B). This property is useful for calculating the determinant of larger matrices by breaking them down into smaller ones.