Matrix of a Linear Transformation Example

In summary, the conversation is discussing a linear transformation for coordinate isomorphism between basis. The person is having difficulty understanding how the basis G was determined and is seeking help in understanding the solution. They are also asking if someone can explain how to compute the matrix representing C_G and how to use it to understand the transformation.
~Sam~

Homework Statement

Hi this isn't really a question but more so understanding an example that was given to me that I not know how it came to it's conclusion. This is a question pertaining linear transformation for coordinate isomorphism between basis.
https://imgur.com/a/UwuAC

Homework Equations

Here is some of the preceding material:
https://imgur.com/a/acpyU

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how it came to it's conclusion for the basis G, for example the vector [1,0,0] doesn't yield the same result as the standard basis, but gets [1,-2,2] instead even though it is a standard basis e1. I thought for [1,1,0] in G the result would be [1,1,2] but instead it's [-1,1,0]. I've tried working backwards from the solution but that hasn't helped. Can anyone help me understand this?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
First thing, do you know how to compute the matrix representing ##C_G##?

Once you have the matrix for ##C_G##, you can compute (for example) ##C_G(T(1))=C_G\begin{pmatrix}1\\0\\2 \end{pmatrix}## and see why it "doesn't yield the same result as the standard basis".

Last edited:

Related to Matrix of a Linear Transformation Example

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another in a way that preserves the structure of the original space. In other words, it is a function that takes in a vector and outputs another vector, while maintaining the same operations and properties of the original vector space.

2. What is a matrix of a linear transformation?

A matrix of a linear transformation is a representation of the transformation in the form of a matrix. It is used to describe how the transformation affects the basis vectors of the original vector space. Each column of the matrix represents the image of the corresponding basis vector.

3. How is a matrix of a linear transformation calculated?

The matrix of a linear transformation is calculated by applying the transformation to each basis vector in the original vector space and then writing the resulting vectors as columns in a matrix. The order of the basis vectors is important, as it determines the order of the columns in the matrix.

4. What is an example of a linear transformation matrix?

An example of a linear transformation matrix is a 2x2 matrix that represents a reflection across the y-axis. This matrix would be:
[ -1 0 ]
[ 0 1 ]
This matrix takes in a vector in the form of [x y] and outputs a vector in the form of [-x y], effectively reflecting the vector across the y-axis.

5. How can the matrix of a linear transformation be used in real-world applications?

The matrix of a linear transformation can be used in many real-world applications, such as computer graphics, data compression, and machine learning. It allows for efficient and accurate transformations of data, which is essential in many fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science.