Matrix Operation: Why n^2 Steps Needed for Elimination of First Row?

• Thread starter johnchau123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, you are attempting to solve a matrix equation with forward elimination. You need to eliminate the first row in order to solve the equation.
johnchau123
In my note, it said that

Counting multiplication and division only, in solving linear equations (matrix operation),

Elimination of first row: total n^2 operations

So, forward elimination operations for the matrix is Σ(2 to n) k^2 = n*(n+1)*(2n+1)/6

I have tried to solve the equations but it seem do not need n^2 steps.

Can anyone tell me conceptually why it needs n^2 operations to eliminate the first row?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to eliminate the firsty entry, so you add a multiple of another row - that is n multiplications. Then you need to do the second entry in the row. That is another n multiplications in another row. You do this n times, so that is n*n operations.

matt grime said:
You have to eliminate the firsty entry, so you add a multiple of another row - that is n multiplications. Then you need to do the second entry in the row. That is another n multiplications in another row. You do this n times, so that is n*n operations.

But i have the following interpretation

Eliminate the first entry and this is n multiplication
Then, I do it n-1, including the first time.

So, I think it is n*(n-1).

I am quite not sure about this. :confused:

To be honest, I'd like you to say what it is that you're doing precisely. I'm not aware of anytime I'd actually want to eliminate the entire first row (of what, by the way? nxn matrix? Why?)

matt grime said:
To be honest, I'd like you to say what it is that you're doing precisely. I'm not aware of anytime I'd actually want to eliminate the entire first row (of what, by the way? nxn matrix? Why?)

The following link is a picture which shows what my note says.

http://www.badongo.com/cn/pic/526793"

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't really answer the questions I asked.

1) you're trying to solve simultaneous equations
2) in how many unknowns and how many equations? I presume n of each.

at least it corrects your first sentence - elimination *for* first row.

Strictly speaking you can do it n*(n-1) operations, I agree. Though you could be supposed to multiply every row by somethings so that they all have the same first entry (eg, 1), and that would be n^2 operations, generically. Unless you describe the algorithm you're attempting to cost, there's no way for anyone else to say what is really going on.

Related to Matrix Operation: Why n^2 Steps Needed for Elimination of First Row?

1. Why do we need n^2 steps for elimination of the first row in matrix operations?

The number of steps needed for elimination of the first row in matrix operations is directly related to the size of the matrix, which is represented by n. Since each element in the first row needs to be eliminated, and there are n elements in the first row, we need n steps. Additionally, for each element, we need to perform n operations, resulting in n^2 steps in total.

2. Is there a more efficient way to eliminate the first row in matrix operations?

Yes, there are more efficient ways to eliminate the first row in matrix operations. One method is using Gaussian elimination, which reduces the number of steps needed by using row operations to transform the matrix into an upper triangular form. Another method is using LU decomposition, which breaks the matrix into two lower and upper triangular matrices, reducing the number of steps needed for elimination.

3. Is there a specific reason for focusing on the first row in matrix operations?

The first row in matrix operations is often chosen as the starting point because it allows us to reduce the matrix into a simpler form. By eliminating the first row, we can then continue to eliminate the remaining rows using the same method, resulting in a final reduced form of the matrix.

4. Can the number of steps for elimination of the first row vary depending on the matrix?

Yes, the number of steps for elimination of the first row can vary depending on the matrix. It is determined by the size of the matrix, as well as the specific values in each element of the first row. In some cases, the matrix may already be in a reduced form, resulting in fewer steps needed for elimination.

5. Are there any real-world applications for understanding the number of steps needed for elimination of the first row in matrix operations?

Yes, understanding the number of steps needed for elimination of the first row in matrix operations is important in various fields, such as engineering, economics, and computer science. It is used in solving systems of linear equations, optimization problems, and in developing algorithms for data processing and analysis.