Matrix Sum of Squares: Rotate Coord System to Express as Diagonal

In summary: Take the first eigenvector as $\begin{bmatrix}\frac{1}{\sqrt{6}}\\ -\frac{2}{\sqrt{6}}\\ \frac{1}{\sqrt{6}}\end{bmatrix}$ as before or2. Take the first eigenvector as $\begin{bmatrix}\frac{1}{\sqrt{6}}\\ \frac{1}{\sqrt{6}}\\ -\frac{2}{\sqrt{6}}\end{bmatrix}$ or3. Take the first eigenvector as $\begin{bmatrix}-\frac{2}{\sqrt{6}}\\ \frac{1}{\sqrt{6}}\\
ognik
Maybe I just need help understanding the question ...

write $ x^2 + 2xy + 2yz + z^2 $ as a sum of squares $ (x')^2 -2(y')^2 + 2(z')^2 $ in a rotated coord system.

The 1st expression $ = \left[ x, y, z \right]M \begin{bmatrix}x\\y\\z\end{bmatrix} $ and I get $ M = \begin{bmatrix}1&1&0\\1&0&1\\0&1&1\end{bmatrix}$
(I wonder if a matrix with 'anti-trace' = 0 has any significant usage somewhere?)

So then would I go 2nd expression (which I see is diagonal) $ = SMS^{-1} $ and somehow find $S$ from that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ognik,

The expression in terms of $x',y',z'$ is not a sum of squares: the coefficient of $(y')^2$ has a minus sign.

You can write

$$x^2+2xy+2yz+z^2=(x^2+2xy+y^2)-y^2+2yz+z^2=(x+y)^2-(y^2-2yz+z^2)+2z^2=(x+y)^2-(y-z)^2+2z^2.$$

From here, you can see that setting $x'=x+y$, $y'=\frac{y}{\sqrt{2}}-\frac{z}{\sqrt{2}}$, and $z'=z$ will make the quadratic form $x^2+2xy+2yz+z^2$ into $(x')^2-2(y')^2+2(z')^2$.

Euge's method is perfect for finding a change of basis that satisfies the criteria.

However, the problem asks for a 'rotated coord system'.
To find it, we need to diagonalize the matrix $M$, that is, write it as $M = BDB^T$, where $D$ is a diagonal matrix and $B$ is an orthogonal matrix.
Diagonalization is typically done by finding the eigenvalues and their corresponding eigenvectors.
It is guaranteed that $M$ is diagonalizable and also that the eigenvectors are orthogonal (spectral theorem for symmetric real matrices).
$D$ is the matrix with the eigenvalues on its diagonal, while $B$ is the matrix with the corresponding eigenvectors, normalized to unit length, and such that $\det B=1$ to ensure it's a rotation without a reflection.

When we have it, we can substitute:
$$x^T M x = x^T BDB^T x = (B^T x)^T D (B^T x) = x'^T D x'$$

Wow, how did I miss that it had to be a rotated coordinate system. :confused: I Like Serena is on point about the analysis of finding the equivalent quadratic form in the rotated coord. system. However, the resulting form will not be $(x')^2 - 2(y')^2 + 2(z')^2$, but $(x')^2 - (y')^2 + 2(z')^2$. The reason is that the set of eigenvalues of $M$ is $\{1,-1,2\}$, not $\{1,-2,2\}$.The vectors

$$\begin{bmatrix}-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\\0\\ \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\end{bmatrix},\begin{bmatrix}\frac{1}{\sqrt{6}}\\ -\frac{2}{\sqrt{6}}\\ \frac{1}{\sqrt{6}}\end{bmatrix}, \begin{bmatrix}\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}\\ \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}\\ \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}\end{bmatrix}$$

form an orthonormal basis of eigenvectors for $M$, with the eigenvectors corresponding to eigenvalues $1$, $-1$, and $2$, respectively. So setting

$$B = \begin{bmatrix}-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} & \frac{1}{\sqrt{6}} & \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}\\ 0 & -\frac{2}{\sqrt{6}} & \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}\\ \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} & \frac{1}{\sqrt{6}} & \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}\end{bmatrix}$$

we have

$$B^TMB = \begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 & 0\\0 & -1 & 0\\0 & 0 & 2\end{bmatrix}.$$

For the new coordinate system $(x',y',z')$, we have

$$\begin{bmatrix}x'\\y' \\z' \end{bmatrix} = B^T\begin{bmatrix} x\\ y\\ z\end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} -\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}x + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}z\\ \frac{1}{\sqrt{6}}x - \frac{2}{\sqrt{6}}y + \frac{1}{\sqrt{6}}z\\ \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}x + \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}y + \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}z\end{bmatrix}$$

and quadratic form

$$\begin{bmatrix} x' & y' & z'\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 & 0\\0 & -1 & 0\\0 & 0 & 2\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x'\\y'\\z'\end{bmatrix} = (x')^2 - (y')^2 + 2(z')^2.$$

Euge said:
$$B = \begin{bmatrix}\frac{-1}{\sqrt{2}} & 0 & -\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\\ \frac{1}{\sqrt{6}} & -\frac{2}{\sqrt{6}} & \frac{1}{\sqrt{6}}\\ \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}} & \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}} & \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}\end{bmatrix}$$

Wolfram says that $\det B = 0$. :eek:

I think the top right entry should be positive.

In the final expression the signs are different (top left made positive), but then the determinant is $-1$.

I made a typo which should be fixed now. :)

Edit: Ok, my $B$ was interchanged with $B^T$. I've made the corrections.

I like Serena said:
When we have it, we can substitute:
$$x^T M x = x^T BDB^T x = (B^T x)^T D (B^T x) = x'^T D x'$$
Thanks folks, I follow down to here, and it fits with what I am looking at in the book. Just taking a checkpoint:

We can't be talking about the eigenvalues of 'my' M here, so for the secular eqtn of D I get $ Det\begin{bmatrix}1-\lambda&0&0\\0&-2-\lambda&0\\0&0&2-\lambda\end{bmatrix} = 0$, which gives me eigenvalues of 1, -2, 2?

Hi ognik,

I don't understand what you did there, and why you think none of us were speaking of the same $M$ as yours. With

$$M = \begin{bmatrix}1 & 1 & 0\\1 & 0 & 1\\0 & 1 & 1\end{bmatrix}$$

we have

$$M - \lambda I = \begin{bmatrix}1 & 1 & 0\\1 & 0 & 1\\0 & 1 & 1\end{bmatrix} - \begin{bmatrix} \lambda & 0 & 0\\0 & \lambda & 0\\0 & 0 & \lambda\end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}1 - \lambda & 1 & 0\\1 & -\lambda & 1\\ 0 & 1 & 1 - \lambda\end{bmatrix}$$

The characteristic equation for $M$ is therefore

$$\operatorname{det}\begin{bmatrix}1 - \lambda & 1 & 0\\1 & -\lambda & 1\\ 0 & 1 & 1 - \lambda\end{bmatrix} = 0$$

Expanding the determinant along the first column, the right-hand side of the equation becomes

$$(1-\lambda) \operatorname{det}\begin{bmatrix}-\lambda & 1\\ 1 & 1 - \lambda\end{bmatrix} - \operatorname{det}\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0\\1 & 1 -\lambda\end{bmatrix} = (1 -\lambda)[(-\lambda)(1-\lambda) - 1] - (1 - \lambda) = (1 - \lambda)(\lambda^2 - \lambda - 1) - (1 - \lambda) = (1 - \lambda)(\lambda^2 - \lambda - 2) = (1 - \lambda)(1 + \lambda)(2 - \lambda).$$

Thus $(1 - \lambda)(1 + \lambda)(2 - \lambda) = 0$, yielding solutions $\lambda_1 = 1$, $\lambda_2 = -1$, and $\lambda_3 = 2$. The numbers $\lambda_1,\lambda_2,\lambda_3$ are the eigenvalues of $M$.

I must have made a mistake with my calcs then and will check them, got different eigenvalues from M.

I instead looked at $ x'^TDx' $ which I figured should be equal to $x^2 -2(y^2) +2z^2 $, so found the eigenvalues of $D= \begin{bmatrix}1&0&0\\0&-2&0\\0&0&2\end{bmatrix}$ (When in doubt, try something else...) I think I would have to be finding $B^{-1}$ if I continued? - more difficult.

OK, the rest is falling into place for me, the rotation matrix mentioned is then B? (Got to mention the book covers this whole lot in a page or so, so if there is a noddy guide link somewhere, I'd appreciate it)

Euge said:
The reason is that the set of eigenvalues of $M$ is $\{1,-1,2\}$,

The vectors

$$\begin{bmatrix}-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\\0\\ \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\end{bmatrix},\begin{bmatrix}\frac{1}{\sqrt{6}}\\ -\frac{2}{\sqrt{6}}\\ \frac{1}{\sqrt{6}}\end{bmatrix}, \begin{bmatrix}\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}\\ \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}\\ \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}\end{bmatrix}$$

form an orthonormal basis of eigenvectors for $M$,
Hi guys, just revisiting this and want to confirm it doesn't matter about the order we take some things.

A) For example, please confirm I can take the order of the eigenvalues as of $M$ to be $\{-1,1,2\}$ ?

B) Can I additionally change the order of elements in the eigenvectors, for example for $\lambda = 1$ I could choose z = -1, making x=1 and the (now 2nd) eigenvector would then be $\begin{bmatrix}\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\\0\\ -\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\end{bmatrix} $ ?

C) I have noticed that I don't have to completely row-reduce some matrices in order to find the eigenvalue - is there a rule of thumb/approach about this? For example it might be that once each row has at least one zero, the eigenvalue can be found without further row reductions?

D) Finally, once I have the eigenvalues, I could find D by inspection of the sum of squares?
In fact it seems I could find D by inspection straight off, or is that just coincidence with this exercise?

Last edited:

FAQ: Matrix Sum of Squares: Rotate Coord System to Express as Diagonal

1. What is the "Matrix Sum of Squares" method?

The Matrix Sum of Squares method is a mathematical technique used to simplify and analyze data in matrix form. It involves rotating the coordinate system of a matrix to express it as a diagonal matrix, which can make it easier to identify patterns and relationships in the data.

2. How does rotating the coordinate system help in expressing a matrix as a diagonal?

Rotating the coordinate system essentially changes the basis of the matrix, making it easier to identify patterns and relationships between the different dimensions of the data. In a diagonal matrix, the values are only present along the main diagonal, making it easier to see how each dimension of the data relates to one another.

3. Can the Matrix Sum of Squares method be applied to any type of data?

Yes, the Matrix Sum of Squares method can be applied to any data that can be represented in matrix form. This includes numerical data, categorical data, and even text data.

4. What are some benefits of using the Matrix Sum of Squares method?

The Matrix Sum of Squares method can help simplify complex data by identifying patterns and relationships that may not be easily visible in the original matrix. It can also help reduce the dimensionality of the data, making it easier to analyze and interpret. Additionally, this method can be used for data compression and feature selection in machine learning applications.

5. Are there any limitations to the Matrix Sum of Squares method?

One limitation of the Matrix Sum of Squares method is that it may not be suitable for data sets with a large number of dimensions, as it can become computationally expensive. Additionally, this method may not be effective if the data does not have any clear patterns or relationships between dimensions.