Maurer–Cartan forms for a matrix group?

In summary, the Maurer-Cartan forms for a matrix group can be written as ##{\omega _g} = {g^{ - 1}}dg##, where ##dg## represents the derivative of the map ##g## from the manifold to the group. In the example of ##SU(2) \simeq S^3##, ##dg## can be written in coordinates as ##dg = \partial_i g \, dx^i##. However, it is important to note that ##g^{-1}## does not refer to the inverse of the map ##g##, but rather to the group inverse of the group element in the image of ##g##.
lichen1983312
I am very confused about that in some literature the Maurer Cartan forms for a matrix group is written as

##{\omega _g} = {g^{ - 1}}dg##

what is ##dg## here? can anyone give an example explicitly?
My best guess is
##

dg = \left( {\begin{array}{*{20}{c}}
{d{x^{11}}}& \ldots &{d{x^{1m}}}\\
\vdots & \ddots & \vdots \\
{d{x^{m1}}}& \cdots &{d{x^{mm}}}
\end{array}} \right)% MathType!End!2!1!

##
and if ## V \in {T_e}G##, I can find

##{\left. {{X_V}} \right|_g} = {L_{g * }}V = {\left. {{{(gV)}^{kj}}\frac{\partial }{{\partial {x^{kj}}}}} \right|_g}##

in this way i seem to be able to pullback ##{\left. {{X_V}} \right|_g}##

##\begin{array}{l}
{g^{ - 1}}dg({X_V}) = {({g^{ - 1}})^{ik}}d{x^{kj}}\left( {{{(gV)}^{mn}}\frac{\partial }{{\partial {x^{mn}}}}} \right)\\
= {({g^{ - 1}})^{im}}{(gV)^{mn}} = {({g^{ - 1}}gV)^{in}} = {V^{in}}
\end{array}##

am I right ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The Lie group is a smooth manifold, which means that the elements of the group are at a one-to-one correspondence with points on the manifold. ##g : M \to G## is a map from the manifold into the group. ##g^{-1}##, however, does not mean the inverse of this map, but rather it means the group inverse of the group element in the image of ##g##.

Take ##SU(2) \simeq S^3## for a concrete example. ##g : S^3 \to SU(2)## gives you the corresponding group element living at each point of the 3-sphere. Choose some convenient coordinates ##x^i## on the 3-sphere, and now ##dg## can be given in coordinates:

$$dg = \partial_i g \, dx^i$$

Ben Niehoff said:
The Lie group is a smooth manifold, which means that the elements of the group are at a one-to-one correspondence with points on the manifold. ##g : M \to G## is a map from the manifold into the group. ##g^{-1}##, however, does not mean the inverse of this map, but rather it means the group inverse of the group element in the image of ##g##.

Take ##SU(2) \simeq S^3## for a concrete example. ##g : S^3 \to SU(2)## gives you the corresponding group element living at each point of the 3-sphere. Choose some convenient coordinates ##x^i## on the 3-sphere, and now ##dg## can be given in coordinates:

$$dg = \partial_i g \, dx^i$$

Thanks very much for the help, but I am still not clear what does ##{\partial _i}g## mean here. Can you write it more explicitly if ##g## have coordinates ##\{ {x^i}(g)\} ##?

Related to Maurer–Cartan forms for a matrix group?

1. What is a Maurer-Cartan form for a matrix group?

A Maurer-Cartan form is a differential form on a matrix group that encodes the group's algebraic structure. It is a left-invariant form, meaning it is invariant under left translations by elements of the group, and it can be used to define a connection on the group.

2. How is a Maurer-Cartan form related to the Lie algebra of a matrix group?

The Maurer-Cartan form is closely related to the Lie algebra of a matrix group. It can be used to define a basis for the Lie algebra, and its exterior derivative gives the structure equations of the Lie algebra. Additionally, the Maurer-Cartan form can be used to construct a Lie bracket on the Lie algebra.

3. What is the significance of the Maurer-Cartan equation?

The Maurer-Cartan equation is a differential equation satisfied by the Maurer-Cartan form. It is a generalization of the structure equations of a Lie algebra and encodes the group's algebraic structure. Solving this equation can provide insight into the group's geometry and topology, and it is also used in the study of integrable systems.

4. How are Maurer-Cartan forms used in physics?

Maurer-Cartan forms are used in physics to study gauge theories and Yang-Mills theory. They provide a mathematical framework for understanding the symmetries of physical systems and are essential for formulating the equations of motion for particles and fields. Additionally, the Maurer-Cartan form can be used to define a connection on a fiber bundle, which is important in the study of gauge theories.

5. Are there any applications of Maurer-Cartan forms outside of mathematics and physics?

Yes, Maurer-Cartan forms have applications in other areas such as computer graphics and computer vision. They can be used to describe transformations and deformations of objects, and their properties can be used to develop efficient algorithms for computing these transformations. Additionally, Maurer-Cartan forms have been used in the study of robotics and control theory.