Max Frequency Homework: 9.0 ev Electron & 143 Neutrons, 92 Protons

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a physics paper and the confusion with the mark scheme's answer to two questions. The first question involves calculating the maximum frequency of a photon emitted during an electron-atom collision, while the second question involves calculating the specific charge of an isotope with 143 neutrons and 92 protons. The equations used are E=hf and specific charge=charge/mass, and the conversation ends with the issue being resolved.
aurao2003

Homework Statement

Hi
I am solving the june 2009 Physics 1 paper (Syllabus A). The mark scheme answer has got me slightly confused on 2 questions:

1. Calculate the maximum frequency of the photon emitted when the 9.0 ev
electron collides with an atom.

2.Calculate the specific charge of an isotope with 143 neutrons and 92 protons

Homework Equations

1) E= hf

2) Specific charge= charge/mass

The Attempt at a Solution

1)f= E/H
Therefore
f= 9 x 1.6x 10^-19/6.63 x 10^-34

But the schemes answer is very different to mine.

2)In the schemes answer, the mass was calculated as both 143 and 92. I presumed that the nucleon number constituted the mass, while the electrons (or number of protons) constituted the charge. (Multiplied by 92 in this case).

Anybody? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your #1 calc looks good to me. Could it be some silly error in calculating? I got 2.17 x 10^15 Hz. What is the specified answer?

For #2, the mass is 143+92 (protons and neutrons have practically the same mass), so it is 92/(143+92) in electron charges per nucleon mass. Conversion of units may well be necessary.

Thanks. I am fine now.

Related to Max Frequency Homework: 9.0 ev Electron & 143 Neutrons, 92 Protons

1. What is the significance of the numbers in the title?

The numbers 9.0 eV, 143 neutrons, and 92 protons represent the energy level, number of neutrons, and number of protons, respectively, of a specific atom. These numbers are used to identify and classify the atom, in this case it would be Uranium-235.

2. How does the 9.0 eV energy level affect the atom?

The 9.0 eV energy level refers to the amount of energy required to remove an electron from the atom. This energy level is relatively low, meaning it is easier to remove electrons from this atom compared to atoms with higher energy levels.

3. Why is the number of neutrons and protons important?

The number of neutrons and protons in an atom determines its atomic mass and identity. Atoms with different numbers of neutrons are called isotopes, while atoms with different numbers of protons are different elements.

4. What is the significance of the element with 92 protons?

Atoms with 92 protons are classified as the element Uranium. Uranium is a naturally occurring radioactive element with many industrial and scientific applications, such as in nuclear power plants.

5. How is this information useful in scientific research?

Knowing the energy level and composition of atoms is crucial in many scientific fields, such as nuclear physics, chemistry, and materials science. This information can help in understanding atomic properties, reactions, and applications in various industries.