Max/min values of v before m slips

• Thread starter holezch
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves a small cube placed inside a funnel rotating at a constant rate of v revs/sec. The angle between the funnel wall and the horizontal is theta. The coefficient of static friction between the cube and the funnel is Mu, and the center of the cube is a distance r from the axis of rotation. The smallest value of v for which the cube will not move is found by setting the friction force equal to the sum of the weight and the centrifugal force. To find the maximum value of v, the equation v^2/r must be solved for both positive and negative solutions.
holezch

Homework Statement

A very small cube of mass m is placed on the inside of a funnel rotating about a vertical axis at a constant rate of v revs/sec. The wall of the funnel makes an angle theta with the horizontal. If the coefficient of the static friction between the cube and the funnel is Mu, and the centre of the cube is a distance r from the axis of rotation, what are the a) largest and b) smallest values of v for which the cube will not move with respect to the funnel?

Homework Equations

friction static = MuN
F = Ma

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I found the min value of V.. I rotated my axis by theta and broke down my force vectors F = m v^2/r and W = mg. Then MuN = mgsintheta + m(v^2/r)costheta and then you can solve for v.. that's the minimum value of v.. I think I understand the question conceptually (the min value would be the friction keeping the block from falling, and the max value would be the value when which the block's frictional force overcomes everything else and starts sliding up). But how do I find the max value? thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
okay, I think I got it.. since it will be v^2/r, +/- the appropriate V will be the solutions..
is this right? thanks

The maximum value of v can be found by setting the frictional force equal to the maximum possible static frictional force, which is given by MuN. This maximum value occurs when the cube is just about to slip, so the normal force N will be equal to the weight of the cube, mg. Substituting this into the equation for frictional force, we get:

MuN = mgsintheta + m(v^2/r)costheta

Solving for v, we get:

v = sqrt((Mu*g*sintheta*r)/(costheta - Mu))

So the maximum value of v is given by this equation.

Related to Max/min values of v before m slips

1. What is the meaning of "max/min values of v before m slips"?

The "max/min values of v before m slips" refers to the maximum or minimum velocity that an object can have before it starts to slip or lose traction. This can happen when an object is moving on a surface with friction, and the force of friction is not strong enough to prevent the object from slipping.

2. How do you determine the max/min values of v before m slips?

The max/min values of v before m slips can be determined through various methods, including mathematical calculations, experiments, and simulations. The specific method used will depend on the specific scenario and factors involved, such as the coefficient of friction, the weight of the object, and the surface it is moving on.

3. What factors affect the max/min values of v before m slips?

The max/min values of v before m slips can be affected by several factors, including the weight and shape of the object, the friction between the object and the surface, the surface's texture and inclination, and the speed at which the object is moving. These factors can impact the force of friction and ultimately determine the max/min values of v before m slips.

4. Can the max/min values of v before m slips be different for different objects?

Yes, the max/min values of v before m slips can vary for different objects, depending on their weight, shape, and other factors mentioned above. For example, a heavier object may require a higher velocity to start slipping compared to a lighter object on the same surface.

5. How can the max/min values of v before m slips be useful in real-world applications?

Understanding the max/min values of v before m slips can be useful in various real-world applications, such as designing and testing vehicles, determining safe speed limits on roads, and calculating the maximum load an object can carry before slipping. It can also help prevent accidents and improve overall safety in different industries, such as manufacturing and construction.