Max speed given power and resistive forces

In summary, the conversation discusses a body of mass M traveling in a straight line with constant power P and a resistance Mkv^2. The speed of the body cannot exceed a certain value v_m, and the expression for v_m is given by v_m^3 = P/Mk. Calculus is used to try to find the same expression, but it is found that the power is equal to the force times the velocity, and the resultant force cannot be equal to zero at v_m. The correct expression is found by simply setting the power equal to the force times the maximum velocity.
Jezza

Homework Statement

A body of mass [itex]M[/itex], traveling in a straight horizontal line, is supplied with constant power [itex]P[/itex] and is subjected to a resistance [itex]Mkv^2[/itex], where [itex]v[/itex] is its speed and [itex]k[/itex] is a constant. Show that the speed of the body cannot exceed a certain value [itex]v_m[/itex] and find an expression for [itex]v_m[/itex].

Homework Equations

[itex]P=\frac{dW}{dt}[/itex]
[itex]F=\frac{dv}{dt}[/itex]

Where [itex]W[/itex] is work, [itex]F[/itex] is force, [itex]t[/itex] is time.

The Attempt at a Solution

First, find the force applied to the body by the power:

[itex]P = \frac{dW}{dt} = \frac{d}{dt}\int{Fdx} = \int{F \frac{dx}{dt}} = \int{Fdv} [/itex]

We conclude by the fundamental theorem of calculus:

[itex]F = \frac{dP}{dv}[/itex]

The resultant force on the body is therefore [itex]F_{res} = \frac{dP}{dv} - Mkv^2 = 0[/itex] at [itex]v_m[/itex].
Now we can write [itex]\frac{dP}{dv} = Mkv^2[/itex] which gives:

[itex]P = \int_{v_0}^{v_m}{Mkv^2dv} = \frac{1}{3}Mk (v_m^3 - v_0^3)[/itex]

If it's ok to assume that [itex]v_0 = 0[/itex] (which I don't think it can be - I don't think it should depend on any initial velocity):

[itex]v_m^3 = \frac{3P}{Mk}[/itex].

The answer is given as [itex]v_m^3 = \frac{P}{Mk}[/itex].

What am I doing wrong? Also why am I having to set an initial velocity? Thanks for any help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
OK I've given it some more thought. Obviously because the power is constant and at [itex]v_m[/itex] velocity is also constant, I can write:
[itex]W=Fd[/itex], which by dividing both sides by time gives [itex]P=Fv[/itex], giving [itex]F=\frac{P}{v}[/itex].

So now I can just write:

[itex]\frac{P}{v_m}=Mkv_m^2[/itex]

Which clearly gives the desired answer. That doesn't really explain why my calculus doesn't work though...

Jezza said:
First, find the force applied to the body by the power:
##\frac{d}{dt}\int{Fdx} = \int{F \frac{dx}{dt}} = \int{Fdv}##
You can't really do that. The middle term makes no sense - you need one more d in the numerator than in the denominator inside an integral.
In fact, at any instant, P=Fv. No need for an integral.
Jezza said:
The resultant force on the body is therefore ##\frac{dP}{dv} - Mkv^2 = 0##
This is clearly not right since P is constant. You would deduce that v=0.

Likes Jezza

Related to Max speed given power and resistive forces

1. What is the equation for calculating maximum speed given power and resistive forces?

The equation for calculating maximum speed given power and resistive forces is v = (P / F)1/3, where v is the maximum speed in meters per second, P is the power in watts, and F is the total resistive force in newtons.

2. How is power related to maximum speed?

The power of an object is directly proportional to its maximum speed. This means that as power increases, maximum speed also increases, assuming all other factors like resistive forces remain constant.

3. What are some common resistive forces that can affect maximum speed?

Some common resistive forces that can affect maximum speed include air resistance, friction, and gravity. These forces act in the opposite direction of motion and can decrease an object's speed.

4. Is maximum speed the same as terminal velocity?

No, maximum speed and terminal velocity are not the same. Maximum speed is the fastest speed an object can reach given a certain amount of power and resistive forces. Terminal velocity, on the other hand, is the constant speed an object reaches when the force of gravity is balanced by air resistance, resulting in no further acceleration.

5. Can maximum speed be achieved in real-life situations?

In theory, yes, maximum speed can be achieved in real-life situations. However, there are many factors that can affect an object's maximum speed, such as air resistance, friction, and the limitations of the object's power source. In most cases, an object will not be able to reach its theoretical maximum speed due to these factors.