Maxima and minima word problem

That will be the longest rod that can make the turn. [In summary, the problem can be solved using calculus by setting up a system of equations representing the constraints and finding the optimal rod length that allows the rod to make the turn.]
jiwhun1989

Homework Statement

A corridor of with a is at right angles to a second corridor of width b.
A long, thin, heavy rod is to be pushed along the floor from the first corridor into the second.
What is the length of the longest rod that can get around the corner?

Homework Equations

I have no idea how to set this equation up :S

The Attempt at a Solution

Final answer should be ((a^(2/3)+b^(2/3))^(3/2)

HELP! I don't know where to start!

Physics news on Phys.org
jiwhun1989 said:

Homework Statement

A corridor of with a is at right angles to a second corridor of width b.
A long, thin, heavy rod is to be pushed along the floor from the first corridor into the second.
What is the length of the longest rod that can get around the corner?

Homework Equations

I have no idea how to set this equation up :S

The Attempt at a Solution

Final answer should be ((a^(2/3)+b^(2/3))^(3/2)

HELP! I don't know where to start!

Start by drawing a diagram of a rod that is going around the corner. What do you see?

The longest rod that will go around the corner is the one that is just making contact with the two outside walls when it makes contact with the corner. After you drawn you diagram, you should see several similar right triangles.

HallsofIvy said:
The longest rod that will go around the corner is the one that is just making contact with the two outside walls when it makes contact with the corner. After you drawn you diagram, you should see several similar right triangles.

That won't work. You can take a 1000 mile long rod, and it can be made to touch the outside walls and an inside corner, but it won't go around the corner.

I think this is actually a somewhat challenging calculus problem, where we require that for any two contact points on the outer walls, the inner corner is a non-negative distance from the rod; so, if the outer walls are the x and y axes, and the ends of the rod are at (u,0) and (0,v) (with u^2 + v^2 = r^2) we require that the point on the rod at (a,y(a)) be at or below (a,b), and that the point (x(b),b) on the rod be to the left of (a,b). Thus, the problem is
max z, subject to z = u^2 + v^2, y(z) <= b and x(b) <= a. Here, z = r^2, and x(a), y(b) involve u, v.

We just started doing calculus last week and this was given as a bonus question if anyone can give me a instruction on how to do this question please let me know as I have got no experience in calculus. :(

Last edited:
Ok I got down to part where I represented rod length by drawing a big triangle with x and y. So then rod length = SQr of x^2 + y^2 then l prime = 1/2 (x^2+y^2)^(-1/2)* (2x+2yy')

Substitute y= ax/ x-b

If your calculus has reached differentiating trig functions, I would take the angle the rod makes to one of the walls as the independent variable. When the rod touches both walls and the corner, you can write down the length of the rod as a function of that angle and the two corridor widths. Then it's just a matter of finding the angle for which the derivative is 0.

jiwhun1989 said:
Ok I got down to part where I represented rod length by drawing a big triangle with x and y. So then rod length = SQr of x^2 + y^2 then l prime = 1/2 (x^2+y^2)^(-1/2)* (2x+2yy')

Another approach: assume one outer wall is the +x axis and the other outer wall is the +y axis. For a rod of length r, let t0 = angle OAC at which end A is on the +x-axis and the other end B is at the inner corner C = (a,b) (here, O = origin). As we push the end A towards the origin the angle t increases and the other end (B) starts to move up and to the left, getting closer to touching the y-axis. As we change the angle t the other end B traces out a curve in (x,y) space; the curve starts at point C and moves up and to the left initially, then up and to the right again for larget t. We can set up a calculus problem to find the minimum x-value on that curve; that will be the point of closest approach of B to the y-axis. Now find the rod length r that makes the minimum x on the curve equal to zero; that is, which makes the B-curve just graze the y-axis at one point.

Related to Maxima and minima word problem

1. What are "maxima and minima" in the context of word problems?

Maxima and minima refer to the highest and lowest values of a function or a data set, respectively. In word problems, they represent the maximum and minimum possible outcomes of a situation.

2. How do I identify the maxima and minima in a word problem?

To identify the maxima and minima, you need to first understand the context of the problem and identify the relevant variables. Then, you can use mathematical methods such as differentiation and critical point analysis to find the points where the function reaches its highest and lowest values.

3. What is the significance of finding maxima and minima in word problems?

Finding maxima and minima can provide valuable insights into the behavior of a system or a process. It can help optimize solutions, determine the boundaries of a problem, and identify important data points for decision making.

4. Can maxima and minima exist in real-world scenarios?

Yes, maxima and minima can exist in real-world scenarios. For example, in economics, the maximum profit and minimum cost are important considerations in business decision making. In physics, the maximum and minimum values of a force or energy can determine the stability of a system.

5. Can maxima and minima change over time?

Yes, maxima and minima can change over time in dynamic systems. Factors such as external influences, changes in variables, and feedback mechanisms can affect the values of maxima and minima and cause them to shift over time.