Maxima CAS question re: forcing evaluation

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Maxima CAS to force the evaluation of an expression, specifically in the context of finding a solution to a given function. The conversation also mentions a difficulty in getting Maxima to evaluate the expression compared to other calculators. The question is asked about the keyword to force evaluation in Maxima.
bitrex
I'm wondering if anyone knows how, using the Maxima CAS, to force the evaluation of an expression? For example, if a function returns something like the following as a solution:

[tex]-\frac{{2}^{\frac{6}{4\,log\left( 2\right) -5}+2}-5\,\left( \frac{6}{4\,log\left( 2\right) -5}+2\right) }{log\left( 2\right) \,{2}^{\frac{6}{4\,log\left( 2\right) -5}+2}-5}+\frac{6}{4\,log\left( 2\right) -5}+2[/tex]

it sure would be nice to ask Maxima to evaluate it to a certain number of digits! :rolleyes:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi bitrex,

Have you found the answer to your question ? I am quite interested in too.
Maxima give me the following result and I don't manage Maxima to evaluate where as my TI-89 succeed !
[tex]
\[\int_{0}^{0.25}\int_{-\frac{\pi }{32}}^{\frac{\pi }{32}}\frac{\mathrm{cos}\left( \phi-\frac{\pi }{8}\right) }{{\left( {\left( -z-0.05\right) }^{2}-4\,\mathrm{cos}\left( \phi-\frac{\pi }{8}\right) +5\right) }^{\frac{3}{2}}}d\phi\,\left( -z-0.05\right) dz\]
[/tex]

What is the keyword to force evaluation in Maxima ?

Thanks,
binoyte

Related to Maxima CAS question re: forcing evaluation

1. What is Maxima CAS?

Maxima CAS (Computer Algebra System) is a free, open-source software that allows for mathematical computations, including algebra, calculus, and differential equations.

2. What does "forcing evaluation" mean in the context of Maxima CAS?

In Maxima CAS, "forcing evaluation" refers to the process of simplifying an expression by reducing it to a single numerical value or a simplified algebraic expression.

3. How can I force evaluation in Maxima CAS?

To force evaluation in Maxima CAS, you can use the command "ev" followed by the expression you want to evaluate. For example, "ev(x^2 + 2*x + 1)" will evaluate the expression and give the result of x^2 + 2*x + 1 = x^2 + 2x + 1.

4. What are the benefits of using Maxima CAS for forcing evaluation?

Using Maxima CAS for forcing evaluation can save time and effort by quickly simplifying complex mathematical expressions. It can also help identify errors in calculations and provide a more accurate result.

5. Can I use Maxima CAS for forcing evaluation in any mathematical field?

Yes, Maxima CAS can be used for forcing evaluation in various mathematical fields, such as algebra, calculus, differential equations, and more. It is a versatile tool that can handle a wide range of mathematical computations.