Maxima word problem - Not sure about my answer.

In summary, a builder wants to build a small building with a square base and the largest possible volume within a budget of $1650. The cost of materials for the walls and roof are given, and the goal is to find the dimensions that will maximize the volume. The attempt at a solution involves using calculus, but other approaches were considered such as finding an expression for the volume in terms of one variable and solving for the maximum. The idea of a cube being the most efficient shape for volume and surface area is also explored.
Bradyns
Maxima word problem -- Not sure about my answer.

This was in an assignment handed out after our introduction to extrema's.
A builder wants to build a small building consisting of 4 walls and a roof (all rectangular). The cost of the bricks for the walls will be $25/square metre, while the roof materials will cost $55/square metre. The building must have a square base, but otherwise may have any dimensions the builder wishes. If the builder’s budget is $1650 then what dimensions would make the build have the largest possible volume?

The attempt at a solution
Premise: A cube will maximize the volume for surface area in this solution.

Roof (A) = L2
Walls (B) = 4 × (L2)

$1650 = $55A + $25(4B)
$1650 = $55A + $100B

$1650 = $55L2 + $100L2
$1650 = $155L2
$1650 / $155 = L2

L = √($1650 / $155)

L≈3.262692338m
L≈3.263m (3.d.p)

For a calculus problem, I am scared that I have not had to use calculus. :/
There was another approaches before I used this method..
Such as..

================================================
Roof (A) = L2
Walls (B) = 4 × (HL) <------------Where h is an variable height.

1650 = A + 4B
1650 = L2 + 4HL
1650 = 55L2 + 100HL

55L2 + 100HL -1650 = 0

But, I couldn't think beyond this.. :/

Also, using 1650 = 55L2 + 100HL,
I managed to arbitrarily plug and chug a result of L=3m H=3.85m
================================================
EDIT:

I've established that the Volume would be L2H

V = L2H
A = L2
B = HL

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Have you tried finding an expression for the volume in terms of H or L alone?

Simon Bridge said:
Have you tried finding an expression for the volume in terms of H or L alone?

In which way?

I could make V= 55L2H
{Area of the base × height.}

I haven't tried using my premise that the most efficient {volume:surface area} is a cube, with the implication of V= L3

I'll give that a shot.

Otherwise, I am truly stumped.

Last edited:

No - I mean you have two simultaneous equations and three unknowns ... why not eliminate one of the unknowns in the equation that starts V= ?

For instance ... from 1650=55L2+100HL ... you can solve it for H, then substitute into V=HL2 ... which gives you V in terms of L. Now you can find the maxima.

You could assume that the shape is a cube - but you still have to prove that a cube is the right shape.

Related to Maxima word problem - Not sure about my answer.

1. What is a Maxima word problem?

A Maxima word problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the maximum or minimum value of a given function or expression. These problems often require the use of calculus and involve finding the optimal solution to a real-life situation.

2. How do I solve a Maxima word problem?

To solve a Maxima word problem, you will need to have a good understanding of calculus, specifically optimization techniques. First, identify the given function or expression and determine what variable you are trying to optimize. Then, use calculus to find the critical points and determine whether they are maximum or minimum values. Finally, check your answer and make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

3. What are some common mistakes when solving Maxima word problems?

Some common mistakes when solving Maxima word problems include incorrectly identifying the variable to optimize, not considering all critical points, and not checking the answer in the context of the problem. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem, and to double-check your work for any errors.

4. Can Maxima word problems be solved without calculus?

In most cases, Maxima word problems cannot be solved without calculus. However, some simple problems may be solved using algebraic techniques. It is important to understand the underlying concepts and techniques of calculus in order to effectively solve Maxima word problems.

5. How can I use Maxima word problems in real life?

Maxima word problems are often used in real-life situations to determine the most efficient or cost-effective solution to a problem. For example, a company may use Maxima word problems to determine the optimal production level that will maximize profits. These problems can also be used to optimize physical processes, such as finding the maximum height of a projectile.