Maximal ideal not containing specific expression

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's efforts to prove a difficult result related to the ramification theory of Dedekind domains and valuation rings. They are trying to extend this theory to a general setting and have encountered two issues that they are attempting to solve. The first issue is whether the normal field extension F_B/F_A must be finite, and the second is whether the inertia degree must divide the degree of the extension. The speaker has reduced the problem to a minimal form and is trying to prove that the relation [F_B:F_A] ≤ π holds in this case. They also mention a related claim that they are trying to prove, which is that there exists an extension of an epimorphism to a place of the fraction field
coquelicot
May there exist an integral domain [itex]R[/itex], with fraction field [itex]K[/itex], that fulfills the following condition:
there exists [itex]x\in K[/itex], [itex]x\not \in R[/itex] and a maximal ideal [itex] \frak m[/itex] of [itex]R{[}x{]}[/itex], such that [itex] \frak m[/itex] does not contain [itex]x-a[/itex] for any [itex]a\in R[/itex] ?

Motivation : I am trying to prove a difficult result. A way to obtain it would be to show that if [itex] \varphi[/itex] is an epimorphism of an integral domain [itex]R[/itex] into a field [itex]F[/itex], then the residual field of every place [itex] \tilde \varphi[/itex] extending [itex] \varphi[/itex] to the fraction field of [itex]R[/itex], with finite values into an algebraic closure of [itex]F[/itex], is equal to [itex]F[/itex]. I have some doubts that such a miracle does occur; but this problem is not available in the literature.
Now, if the answer of the asked question is negative, then we are done, taking the restriction of [itex] \tilde\varphi[/itex] to [itex]R{[}x{]}[/itex] in the (allegedly) absurd supposition that such an extension of [itex] \varphi[/itex] exist.

Physics news on Phys.org
what are you trying to prove?

Hello mathwonk,

I am extending the ramification theory of Dedekind domains and valuation rings to a general setting: let [itex]A[/itex] be an integrally closed domain, [itex]K[/itex] its field of fractions, [itex]L[/itex] a Galois extension of [itex]K[/itex], finite or infinite, and [itex]B[/itex] the integral closure of [itex]A[/itex] in [itex]L[/itex]. Assume that [itex]p[/itex] is a maximal ideal of [itex]A[/itex], and [itex]P[/itex] is a maximal ideal of [itex]B[/itex] above [itex]A[/itex].
Denote [itex]F_A = A/p[/itex] and [itex]F_B = B/P[/itex], so [itex]F_B/F_A[/itex] is a normal field extension.

A great deal of definitions and results of ramification theory "passes" under this setting: Decomposition group, inertia group, theorem of surjectivity of the decomposition group to the group of automorphisms in the residual field, unramified extensions, tamely ramified extensions, group of ramification, and most of the corresponding theorems. The result is fairly nice, and implies immediately the corresponding results for Dedekind extension and valuation extensions.

I have more or less finished the task, but there remain two rather inelegant issues, and the whole work would not be serious if I leave them as is: Assuming [itex]L/K[/itex] finite,
1) must [itex]F_B/F_A[/itex] be finite ?;
2) assuming [itex]F_B/F_A[/itex] finite, must [itex][F_B:F_A][/itex] (the inertia degree) divide [itex][L:K][/itex] ?

I can show that 1) is necessary if [itex]F_B/F_A[/itex] is separable, or if [itex]A[/itex] is noetherian;
I can shown that 2) is necessary if [itex]F_B/F_A[/itex] is separable, or if [itex]{\rm char}(F_B)[/itex] does not divide [itex][L:K][/itex].
Of course, a proof of 2) would imply 1).

I am trying to prove 2), which implies 1) in the general case. I have reduced the problem to the following minimal form:
Assume that [itex]{\rm char}(F_A) = \pi>0[/itex], and that [itex][L:K][/itex] is of prime degree [itex]\pi[/itex] ([itex]L[/itex] is not assumed to be Galois here, but this changes nothing in the setting for this problem). Assume furthermore that [itex]F_B/F_A[/itex] is purely inseparable.
Does 1) hold in this case ?

It would be a waste of time to try proving the general claim: here is the essential difficulty, and if it can be solved, I can solve the two general problems above. If there is a counter example, then at least it will be licit to say "suppose that [itex][F_B:F_A][/itex] is finite" and a similar assertion about the divisibility by the residual degree.

To sum-up, what I am trying to prove is the following: Assume that [itex]A[/itex] is an integrally closed domain, [itex]K[/itex] its fraction field, [itex]L[/itex] an extension of [itex]K[/itex] of prime degree [itex]\pi[/itex], [itex]p[/itex] a maximal ideal of [itex]A[/itex] containing [itex]\pi[/itex], [itex]P[/itex] a maximal ideal of [itex]B[/itex] above [itex]A[/itex], [itex]F_A[/itex], [itex]F_B[/itex] the corresponding residual fields. Assume [itex]F_B/F_A[/itex] purely inseparable.
Must the relation [itex][F_B:F_A]\leq \pi[/itex] hold ? (this will allow answering 2) above, and the question " must [itex][F_B:F_A][/itex] be finite?" would allow answering 1) above)

As I said previously, a way to prove this would be to prove the following claim, which is probably false but is interesting for its own and I would like at least to know a counter example :
Let [itex]A[/itex] be an integral domain of fraction field [itex]K[/itex], and [itex]\varphi[/itex] an epimorphism of [itex]A[/itex] into a field [itex]F_A[/itex]. It is known that [itex]\varphi[/itex] can be extended to a place of [itex]K[/itex], with (finite) values into an algebraic extension [itex]F'[/itex] of [itex]F_A[/itex]. Is it possible that [itex]F' \not=F_A[/itex]? (a negative answer would imply my theorem). In fact, to prove my theorem, I need only the following: "There exists an extension of [itex]\varphi[/itex] to a place of [itex]K[/itex] whose residual field is equal to [itex]F_A[/itex]". But I think that if the first question has a counter example, this last claim is very unlikely to hold.

P.S : I have spent 3 weeks to try to solve this problem: I feel I am exploding.

Last edited:

Related to Maximal ideal not containing specific expression

1. What is a maximal ideal?

A maximal ideal is a special type of ideal in a ring that is not contained in any other proper ideal.

2. How is a maximal ideal different from a prime ideal?

A maximal ideal is a proper ideal that is not contained in any other proper ideal, while a prime ideal is a proper ideal that has the property that whenever the product of two elements is in the ideal, at least one of the elements is in the ideal.

3. What does it mean for a maximal ideal to not contain a specific expression?

If a maximal ideal does not contain a specific expression, it means that the ideal cannot be generated by that expression. In other words, the expression is not a member of the ideal.

4. How is a maximal ideal not containing a specific expression related to algebraic geometry?

In algebraic geometry, maximal ideals are often used to define points on an algebraic variety. If a maximal ideal does not contain a specific expression, it means that the corresponding point on the variety is not contained in the zero set of that expression.

5. Can a maximal ideal contain infinitely many elements?

Yes, a maximal ideal can contain infinitely many elements. However, there are some rings in which all maximal ideals are finite, such as the ring of integers.