Maximizing Aircraft Performance: Understanding Oswald Efficiency Factor

• Thread starter ank_gl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Efficiency
In summary: This is because there is a smaller surface area that needs to generate lift. The thinner the wing, the less drag it will generate. In fact, a wing with a span of only 2 meters, for example, would have an Oswald efficiency of 0.75, which is much lower than the average Oswald efficiency of wings that have a span of 40 meters or more.
ank_gl
i googled a lot, the best hit i got was
" 'e' is a parameter which expresses the total variation of drag with lift. It is sometimes called the span efficiency factor or Oswald efficiency factor after Dr. W.B. Oswald who first used it. It would be 1.0 for an elliptically-loaded wing with no lift-dependent viscous drag, but for practical aircraft 'e' varies from about 0.75 to 0.90."

i couldn't make much of it, can anyone elaborate a lil bit

Engineering news on Phys.org
This "Proposal" refers to "Mises 1945".

Link-1:
http://www-scf.usc.edu/~tchklovs/Proposal.htm

Some interesting stuff here but nothing on shape of wing tip.

Link-2:
--- Link Removed ----

NOTE: Link-2 is somewhat a radical view and out of mainsteam but interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
We know how to increase the velocity and the area of the wing, but how to increase the coefficient of lift? (The coefficient of lift is merely a measure of how much the estimated lift the wing will develop v/s the experimentally tested lift as measured. Since this is how far off the computations are as to the real lift produced an increase in the coefficient only indicates more error in the guesstimate!)

Secondly, adding power to increase the velocity increases lift to the square of the velocity but why? The pilot can also increase the angle of attack and produce more lift but this factor is no where in the formula!

Thirdly, increase in wing area will sometimes produce more lift but the question is which way are we to increase the wing area? For instance a wing with 40 ft. wingtip to wingtip (wingspan) and 8 ft. average leading edge to trailing edge of the wing (chord) will produce an airfoil area of 320 sq. ft. but an average wingtip to wingtip (wingspan) airfoil of 8 ft. and a 40 ft. (average) chord will also produce an airfoil of 320 sq. ft. but produce practically 0 lift!
--- LInk removed ----
dont know about the first part, 2nd and 3rd part are complete crap.
2.increasing angle of attack => increased Cl
3.8ft span and 40 ft chord wing also ll produce same lift, but would be very unstable.
right:confused::confused:

We don't give crackpots free advertising even if just via debunking here, kach. That link was utter crap. Rediculously absurd. It is breathtaking how much energy they have put into something so utterly devoid of any basis in reality. In fact, many of the key points were so far off that they don't even provide a starting place for debunking. Ie, the complaint about the Venturi effect described a process that bore little resemblence to the Venturi effect. So there was nothing to debunk. The line about Burt Rutan's Voyager having it's wing on upside-down was a real chuckler though. Yah, it produced negative lift while on it's takeoff roll. That's done on purpose so they don't spontaneously take off before the pilot rotates. They sit on their landing gear with a negative angle of attack. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
ok now anyone for my question?

Oswald efficiency factor of the wing at a given lift coefficient is defined as ratio of the wing's induced drag coefficient and induced drag coefficient of the equal aspect ratio elliptic wing at that same lift coefficient. Since the elliptic planform will have the lowest induced drag among all planar forms of same aspect ratio at any given lift coefficient, then this ratio somehow reminds of an efficiency meassure, hence the name.

Oswald efficiency factor in general depends on the lift coefficient (i.e. angle of attack). For example, a trapezoidal wing can be optimally twisted for some given angle of attack to produce induced drag near to that of an elliptic wing (near unity Oswald efficiency), but will become worse as the angle of attack shifts away from that optimized for.

The importance of wing's Oswald efficiency depends on how large is the part of wing's induced drag in the total drag for designed for performance types. For example, in range-efficient cruise of an airliner I've read that the induced drag is like 20% of total, whereas it can be more than 50% for time-efficient high-altitude loiter of a surveillance UAV.

But this is all textbook stuff, so sorry if I'm wasting your time by stating the obvious :)

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)

ank_gl said:
ok now anyone for my question?
It seems one of my links hi-jacked your thread, I'm sorry about that.

I can do a Google search as well as anyone else, but have little idea how to help you.

This is what I found::

Formulas and charts;
http://www.desktopaero.com/appliedaero/potential3d/induceddrag.html
Note that e simply depends on the shape of the lift distribution. It is called the span efficiency factor or Oswald's efficiency factor. Note also that the induced drag force depends principally on the lift per unit span, L/b.

Pictures and text:
http://selair.selkirk.bc.ca/aerodynamics1/Drag/Page8.html
From this equation we can see that the most powerful design feature for reducing induced drag is a long wingspan (b). Thus, any aircraft, which will be flown at relatively large angles of attack (small V), should have the longest possible wingspan. This would include aircraft such as gliders, as well as high altitude spy planes such as the U2. It also includes to a lesser degree modern jet airliners.

I trust this will help to keep things on topic.

caslav.ilic said:
But this is all textbook stuff, so sorry if I'm wasting your time by stating the obvious :)

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)

well guess what! that didnt waste my time.
caslav.ilic said:
Oswald efficiency factor of the wing at a given lift coefficient is defined as ratio of the wing's induced drag coefficient and induced drag coefficient of the equal aspect ratio elliptic wing at that same lift coefficient.
that helps to understand it completely. i didnt knew what to compare it with first. making the elliptical lift distribution as the standard is a good definition

kach22i said:
This is what I found::

Formulas and charts;
http://www.desktopaero.com/appliedaero/potential3d/induceddrag.html

Pictures and text:
http://selair.selkirk.bc.ca/aerodynamics1/Drag/Page8.html

I trust this will help to keep things on topic.

thanks for the help kach, but i have bookmarked both of these links for years now. they are a good help. anyways chuss solved my problem

FAQ: Maximizing Aircraft Performance: Understanding Oswald Efficiency Factor

1. What is Oswald Efficiency Factor (e)?

The Oswald Efficiency Factor, or e, is a measure of how well an aircraft's wing is designed to minimize drag. It is named after British aerodynamicist and engineer, Geoffrey Ingram Taylor, who first introduced the concept in the 1920s.

2. How is Oswald Efficiency Factor calculated?

The formula for calculating Oswald Efficiency Factor is e = 1 / (1 + AR*β), where AR is the aspect ratio of the wing (ratio of wingspan to chord length) and β is the taper ratio (ratio of tip chord to root chord). This formula takes into account the wing's shape and size to determine its efficiency in minimizing drag.

3. Why is Oswald Efficiency Factor important for aircraft performance?

Oswald Efficiency Factor is important because it directly affects an aircraft's lift-to-drag ratio, which is a key factor in determining its overall performance. A higher e value means a more efficient wing design, leading to better aerodynamic performance and increased fuel efficiency.

4. What is the typical range for Oswald Efficiency Factor in commercial aircraft?

The typical range for Oswald Efficiency Factor in commercial aircraft is between 0.75 and 0.85. This means that most commercial aircraft have relatively efficient wing designs, with a small amount of room for improvement.

5. How can aircraft manufacturers increase Oswald Efficiency Factor?

Aircraft manufacturers can increase Oswald Efficiency Factor by using advanced aerodynamic design techniques, such as winglets or blended winglets, to reduce drag and improve lift-to-drag ratio. They can also optimize the wing's aspect ratio and taper ratio for maximum efficiency. Another approach is to use lightweight materials and innovative construction methods to reduce the weight of the wing, which can also contribute to a higher e value.