Maximizing Angle Theta on a Line AB: Calculus Assignment Help

In summary, we have a problem where we need to find the point P on line AB in order to maximize the angle theta. This can be achieved by splitting up theta into two angles, theta1 and theta2, and using the fact that theta1 and theta2 are alternate interior angles. We can then derive expressions for theta1 and theta2, and use the given information AP+BP=3 to solve for BP. By substituting this value into the equation for theta, we can find the maximum value for theta.
Physics news on Phys.org
Greetings! Is your answer supposed to be in terms of the length of AB?

yes! sorry i forgot to mention that up there =)

In that case, try extending a horizontal line from point P in order to split up θ into two angles, θ1 and θ2, such that θ = θ1 + θ2. Call x an unknown length starting at point P and going upwards along AB. Check out the bottom-most angle on the right. Call it φ, and note that θ1 (the lower part of θ) is

[tex] \theta_1 = \varphi = \arctan(\frac{3+x}{5})[/tex]

because φ and θ1 are alternate interior angles. Try deriving a similar expression for θ2, keeping in mind that this part will depend on AB.

alright so will this work?: θ = θ1 + θ2
tan θ1=BP/BC (where C= the angle between B and P)
θ1=arctan(BP/BC)
tan θ2=AP/AD (where D= the angle between A and P)
θ2=arctan(AP/AD)

sum= θ1 + θ2 --> arctan(BP/BC)+arctan(AP/AD)

then add in the known values:

θ1 + θ2= arctan(BP/2)+arctan(AP/5)

θ= arctan((1/2)BP)+arctan((1/5)AP)

since we know AP+BP=3...solve for BP.
BP=-AP+3 and then substitute into the equation above:

θ= arctan((1/2)(-AP+3))+arctan((1/5)AP)
θ= -arctan((1/2AP-3/2))+arctan((1/5)AP)...then found the derivative

y= -1/(2(1+(1/2)AP-(3/2))^2) + 1/(5(1+(1/25)AP)^2)

i then solved for AP

and got 5+2sqrt(5)=9.472
and 5-2sqrt(5)=.5279
and my answer was .5279

is that correct?

menal said:
since we know AP+BP=3...solve for BP.

Was it given in the problem that AP+BP = 3? Just looking at the image, it seems that we only know that AP is currently length 3.

yes, but in my image on my sheet, AP AND BP total is 3.

so based on that, would what i did be correct?

menal said:
yes, but in my image on my sheet, AP AND BP total is 3.

If this is true, then your result seems fine to me. Good work!

FAQ: Maximizing Angle Theta on a Line AB: Calculus Assignment Help

1. What is the concept of maximizing angle theta on a line AB?

The concept of maximizing angle theta on a line AB involves finding the maximum possible value of the angle theta that can be formed between the line AB and another line or point. This is done using calculus techniques such as differentiation and optimization.

2. Why is maximizing angle theta on a line AB important?

Maximizing angle theta on a line AB is important in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, geometry, and computer graphics. It allows us to determine the optimal positioning of objects or structures, leading to more efficient and effective designs.

3. What are the steps involved in maximizing angle theta on a line AB?

The steps involved in maximizing angle theta on a line AB include setting up the problem by defining the variables and constraints, finding the derivative of the angle theta with respect to the variables, setting the derivative equal to zero and solving for the critical points, and finally, checking for the maximum value of the angle theta using the second derivative test.

4. Can calculus be used to maximize angle theta on a line AB in any situation?

No, calculus can only be used to maximize angle theta on a line AB when the angle is a function of one or more variables and there are constraints involved. If the angle is not a function of variables or there are no constraints, then other mathematical techniques must be used to find the maximum value.

5. Are there any real-world applications of maximizing angle theta on a line AB?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of maximizing angle theta on a line AB. For example, in architecture, it can be used to determine the best angle for sunlight to enter a building, in astronomy, it can be used to calculate the maximum angle at which two celestial bodies can be observed, and in robotics, it can be used to optimize the movement of robot arms to reach a specific point.