Maximizing Enclosed Area with 400ft Fencing

• Thread starter hankjr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary, the problem is asking for the dimensions of two adjacent rectangular regions with a combined perimeter of 400 ft. in order to maximize the enclosed area. The solution involves writing equations for perimeter and area, substituting the perimeter equation into the area equation, and using the first derivative test to find the critical values for the maximum area.
hankjr

Homework Statement

A person has 400 ft. of fencing to enclose two adjacent rectangular regions of the same size. What dimensions should each region be so that the enclosed area will be a maximum.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no Idea how to solve this problem, please please help me !

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like you need to build a fence with a 400 ft. perimeter, and maximize the enclosed area. Then just cut the internal area in half to see what the resulting rectangles are. Write the equation for the area of a 4-sided figure (rectangle/square) as a function of its perimeter. Then do you know how to maximize the area as a function of the side dimensions?

I'm not sure how to write the area as a function of its perimeter?

Are you supposed to find the max with a first-derivative test or by deduction through transformations? i.e "vertex form"

I never heard of the h = -b/(2a) formula to find the axis of symmetry although of course it makes sense now that I think of it. That may come in handy later on. Heh

Since this is posted in the calculus section, I'm guessing the OP needs to use the first derivative test. Start by generating one equation for perimeter and one for area. Since you need to maximize area, you need to work with the area equation, so the perimeter needs to be combined into the area equation using substitution. Once you have the final area equation in terms of one variable, you may apply the first derivative test to find the critical values (when the derivative equals 0 or is undefined).

Related to Maximizing Enclosed Area with 400ft Fencing

1. How do you calculate the maximum enclosed area with 400ft of fencing?

To calculate the maximum enclosed area with 400ft of fencing, you will need to use the formula A = (L/2) * (400ft - L), where A is the area and L is the length of one side of the enclosed area. This formula is derived from the fact that the enclosed area will be in the shape of a rectangle, and the perimeter of a rectangle is equal to the sum of the length and width multiplied by two. By solving for A, you will be able to find the maximum area that can be enclosed with 400ft of fencing.

2. What is the optimal shape for maximizing enclosed area with 400ft of fencing?

The optimal shape for maximizing enclosed area with 400ft of fencing is a square. This is because a square has equal sides, meaning that the length and width will be the same. Therefore, the formula for calculating the maximum area (A = (L/2) * (400ft - L)) can be simplified to A = (L/2) * (400ft - L) = (L/2) * (400ft - 2L) = 200ft * (200ft - L). As you can see, the maximum area will always be achieved when L is equal to 200ft, which results in a square shape.

3. Can the maximum enclosed area be achieved with any shape of fencing?

Yes, the maximum enclosed area can be achieved with any shape of fencing as long as the perimeter of the shape is equal to 400ft. This means that shapes such as a circle, triangle, or irregular shape can also achieve the maximum enclosed area with 400ft of fencing. However, as mentioned before, a square will result in the largest maximum area possible.

4. Is it possible to enclose more than one area with 400ft of fencing?

Yes, it is possible to enclose more than one area with 400ft of fencing. This can be achieved by dividing the 400ft of fencing into multiple sections and using each section to enclose a separate area. However, the total enclosed area will still be limited by the total amount of fencing available.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the maximum enclosed area with 400ft of fencing?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the maximum enclosed area with 400ft of fencing. These factors include the terrain of the area, the presence of obstacles or uneven ground, and the type of fencing material used. These factors can impact the length of each side of the enclosed area and ultimately affect the maximum area that can be achieved.