Maximizing Energy Storage in a Lead Acid Battery

In summary, a lead acid storage battery with a mass of 30kg can supply 5 amperes for 24 hours with a terminal voltage of 12 V before it is totally discharged. If the energy stored in the fully charged battery is used to lift the battery with 100% efficiency, it can attain a height of 17.6 km. If the energy stored is used to accelerate the battery with 100% efficiency, it can attain a velocity of 587 m/s. In comparison, gasoline contains about 4.5 x 10^7 j/kg, which is higher than the energy content per unit mass for the fully charged battery.
PowerIso

Homework Statement

A certain lead acid storage battery has a mass of 30kg, Starting from a fully charged state, it can supply 5 amperes for 24 hours with a terminal voltage of 12 V before it is totally discharged. a If the energy stored in the the fully charged battery is used to lift the battery with 100% efficiency what height is attained? Assume that the acceleration due to gravity is 9.88 m/s/s and is constant with height. b. If the energy stored is used to accelerate the battery with 100% efficiency what velocity is attained. C Gasoline contains about 4.5 x 10^7 j/kg. Compare this with the energy content per unit mass for the fully charged battery.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't have an attempt to the solution manly because I am at lost to where to begin. I've read the section this question is referring to over and over again and I can't seem to get any closer to solving this problem. Can anyone please give me a hint on how to solve such a problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's just an energy problem. Start by calculating how much energy is delivered in total by a 5 A current at 12 V over 24 hours. Then, figure out the equivalent altitude where the 30 kg battery has that same amount of gravitational potential energy as was released in the form of electricity.

- Warren

Thanks a lot. I ended up with 17.6 km for the height and 587 m/s for the velocity question. I'm still confused on part c. It's been about 3 years since I've taken physics I and II, so I'm trying to recall old information, but it's hard.

FAQ: Maximizing Energy Storage in a Lead Acid Battery

1. What is stored energy in a battery?

Battery stored energy is the potential energy stored within a battery that can be converted into electrical energy to power devices.

2. How is energy stored in a battery?

Energy is stored in a battery through a chemical reaction between the positive and negative electrodes, which creates a flow of electrons that can be harnessed as electrical energy.

3. How long can energy be stored in a battery?

The length of time that energy can be stored in a battery depends on the type and size of the battery, as well as the amount of energy being used from the battery. Generally, batteries can store energy for months to years before needing to be replaced or recharged.

4. What affects the amount of energy that can be stored in a battery?

The amount of energy that can be stored in a battery is affected by factors such as the type of battery, its size and capacity, the materials used in its construction, and the temperature and environment in which it is used.

5. How is stored energy in a battery measured?

The energy stored in a battery is typically measured in watt-hours (Wh) or amp-hours (Ah), which represent the amount of energy that can be delivered over time. The voltage and capacity of the battery are also important factors in determining the amount of stored energy.

Back