Maximizing/Minimizing Volume of a Sphere with Cylinder Drilled Through Center

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of maximizing and minimizing the volume of a sphere with a cylindrical hole drilled through the center. The equations and methods for finding the volume are explored, including using the cylindrical shell method and the disk method. The conversation also touches on the importance of properly evaluating integrals and the potential for mistakes and typos.
mbrmbrg
We're trying to maximize (then minimize) the volume of a sphere wuth a cylinder drilled through the center.

So I have a circle with the equation x^2 + y^2 = R^2, and I'm going to rotate it around the y-axis. Actually, I'm only going to rotate the quarter of it that lies in the first quadrant, then multiply its volume by 2.

Now since the sphere has a cylindrical hole in it, my quarter-circle that I will rotate starts at sqrt(R^2-a^2), where a is half the height of the cylindrical hole.

(sorry for the mess; I don't know how to draw a graph on the computer)

SO.

My integrand is (2)(pi)(x)(L(x))=(2)(pi)(x)sqrt(R^2-x^2)
because the equation of a circle is y=sqrt(R^2-x^2)

My upper and lower limits are R and sqrt(R^2-a^2) respectively.

I didn't yet learn how to evaluate an integral of this form.
Is there any way to find the max/min Volumes without evaluating the integal? Or is my integral wrong altogether?

Physics news on Phys.org
mbrmbrg said:
We're trying to maximize (then minimize) the volume of a sphere wuth a cylinder drilled through the center.

So I have a circle with the equation x^2 + y^2 = R^2, and I'm going to rotate it around the y-axis. Actually, I'm only going to rotate the quarter of it that lies in the first quadrant, then multiply its volume by 2.

Now since the sphere has a cylindrical hole in it, my quarter-circle that I will rotate starts at sqrt(R^2-a^2), where a is half the height of the cylindrical hole.

(sorry for the mess; I don't know how to draw a graph on the computer)

SO.

My integrand is (2)(pi)(x)(L(x))=(2)(pi)(x)sqrt(R^2-x^2)
because the equation of a circle is y=sqrt(R^2-x^2)
No, that's not your integrand. You don't want to find area, you want to find the volume when the circle is rotated about an axis.

My upper and lower limits are R and sqrt(R^2-a^2) respectively.

I didn't yet learn how to evaluate an integral of this form.
Is there any way to find the max/min Volumes without evaluating the integal? Or is my integral wrong altogether?
I would be very surprised if you hadn't learned to integrate such square roots long ago- its a simple trig substitution. However, as I pointed out, your integral is altogether wrong. [itex]y= \sqrt{R^2- x^2}[/itex] is a radius of the disk formed when the circle is rotated around the x-axis. The area of such a disk is [itex]\pi y^2[/itex] and the volume is
[tex]\pi\int y^2dx[/tex]

Thank you.

My Calc II professor loves his subject. Hence our starting with a brief review of the fundamental theorem (the last thing we did in calc I) and moving straight to a day on Areas, then spending time on volumes.
He says we'll get to methods of integration soon.

HallsofIvy said:
No, that's not your integrand. You don't want to find area, you want to find the volume when the circle is rotated about an axis.

My professor strongly suggested using the cylindrical shell method, which is how I got my original integrand.

[itex]y= \sqrt{R^2- x^2}[/itex] is a radius of the disk formed when the circle is rotated around the x-axis. The area of such a disk is [itex]\pi y^2[/itex] and the volume is
[tex]\pi\int y^2dx[/tex]

In my diagram, I set R to be the radius, so wouldn't [tex]y\pm \sqrt{R^2-x^2}[/tex] be the equation of my circle (rather than a radius thereof)?

Basically, I tried doing it with the disk method and ended up with [tex]\pi\int \sqrt{R^2-x^2}^2dx[/tex] which simplifies to [tex]\pi\int \sqrt{R^2-x^2}dx[/tex], which I still can't evaluate because my class skips around. But is this the integrand I should be looking for?

Last edited:
mbrmbrg said:
Basically, I tried doing it with the disk method and ended up with [tex]\pi\int \sqrt{R^2-x^2}^2dx[/tex] which simplifies to [tex]\pi\int \sqrt{R^2-x^2}dx[/tex]
No, it doesn't! Squaring a squareroot doesn't leave a squareroot! That simplifies to
[tex]\pi \int (R^2- x^2) dx[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
No, it doesn't! Squaring a squareroot doesn't leave a squareroot! That simplifies to
[tex]\pi \int (R^2- x^2) dx[/tex]

Would you believe me if I told you that was a typo? Because it was:blushing:

I'm sorry to be so dense, but I looked it over yet again and still can't follow your reasoning. Doesn't [tex]A(x)=\pi R^2[/tex] rather than [tex]A(x)=\pi y^2[/tex]?
Why are we putting y (in the form [tex]\sqrt{R^2-x^2}[/tex]) into [tex]\int (A(x)) dx[/tex] instead of putting in R (in the form [tex]\sqrt{y^2+x^2}[/tex])?
Other than the fact that an integral with x's and y's looks really ugly, that is...

mbrmbrg said:
Doesn't [tex]A(x)=\pi R^2[/tex] rather than [tex]A(x)=\pi y^2[/tex]?
Why are we putting y (in the form [tex]\sqrt{R^2-x^2}[/tex]) into [tex]\int (A(x)) dx[/tex] instead of putting in R (in the form [tex]\sqrt{y^2+x^2}[/tex])?
Other than the fact that an integral with x's and y's looks really ugly, that is...

yowzers, naps should be mandatoory!
You're rotating around the xaxis, aren't you? that would make y the radius of that disk... Good Lord. Sheesh.
Thanks, and good morning!

Related to Maximizing/Minimizing Volume of a Sphere with Cylinder Drilled Through Center

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of a sphere?

The formula for finding the volume of a sphere is V = (4/3)πr^3, where r is the radius of the sphere and π is approximately 3.14.

2. Why is the volume of a sphere important to know?

The volume of a sphere is important to know because it is a fundamental property of a three-dimensional object. It can be used in various applications such as engineering, physics, and mathematics to calculate surface area, density, and other important measurements.

3. How can a cylinder be drilled through the center of a sphere?

In order to drill a cylinder through the center of a sphere, the sphere must be hollowed out using a specific drilling tool. The tool is inserted at the center of the sphere and gradually removes the inside material, leaving a hollow cylinder passing through the center.

4. How does drilling a cylinder through the center of a sphere affect its volume?

Drilling a cylinder through the center of a sphere does not change the volume of the sphere itself. However, it does create a new volume for the hollow cylinder passing through the center. The combined volume of the sphere and cylinder will be greater than the volume of the sphere alone.

5. How can the volume of a sphere with a cylinder drilled through the center be maximized or minimized?

The volume of a sphere with a cylinder drilled through the center can be maximized by increasing the radius of the sphere and/or the height of the cylinder. It can be minimized by decreasing the radius of the sphere and/or the height of the cylinder.