Maximizing Power Transfer: An Analysis of Resistance and Efficiency

PhysicsTest
Homework Statement
A battery of emf E and internal resistance r is hooked up to a variable "load"
resistance, R. If you want to deliver the maximum possible power to the load, what resistance
R should you choose?
Relevant Equations
Ohms Law V = IR
1691817049496.png

I equated dP/dR to 0 and find the solution for R. Is the solution correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
PhysicsTest said:
Homework Statement: A battery of emf E and internal resistance r is hooked up to a variable "load"
resistance, R. If you want to deliver the maximum possible power to the load, what resistance
R should you choose?
Relevant Equations: Ohms Law V = IR

View attachment 330425
It is clearly wrong since the final equation is dimensionally inconsistent.

Likes DaveE, MatinSAR and PhysicsTest
PhysicsTest said:
The method is correct but not the solution as @haruspex noted. Redo the algebra and, as you take the derivative, make sure that you get a dimensionally consistent equation after each step.

PhysicsTest said:
It's pretty clear that there is an error in taking the derivative,

Yes the differentiation is wrong and i get R = r. But what i do not understand is that the power delivered to resistor is called loss, that how is it useful?

PhysicsTest said:
Yes the differentiation is wrong and i get R = r. But what i do not understand is that the power delivered to resistor is called loss, that how is it useful?
The power dissipated in the internal resistance, r, is the loss; the power dissipated in R is the rate of doing useful work.
This (standard) result says that if you wish to maximise the rate of doing useful work then you have to accept suffering an equal amount of wasted work. In practice, you may settle for a lower rate of doing useful work in return for a higher efficiency.

Likes DaveE and PhysicsTest
haruspex said:
The power dissipated in the internal resistance, r, is the loss; the power dissipated in R is the rate of doing useful work.
This (standard) result says that if you wish to maximise the rate of doing useful work then you have to accept suffering an equal amount of wasted work. In practice, you may settle for a lower rate of doing useful work in return for a higher efficiency.
Yes, and in the real world, if you want to maximize the efficiency of delivering power to R, you will try to minimize r and reduce the source accordingly.

The reason this extremely common problem is given, in addition to practicing some analysis skills, is that this is a really important concept in more complex problems you will face later with high frequency circuits. I'll stop here, since it's beyond the scope of this thread, but this is the DC version of impedance matching, which is really, really, really important in high frequency circuit design.

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban

Related to Maximizing Power Transfer: An Analysis of Resistance and Efficiency

What is the maximum power transfer theorem?

The maximum power transfer theorem states that to obtain maximum external power from a source with a finite internal resistance, the resistance of the load must be equal to the resistance of the source. This ensures that the power delivered to the load is maximized.

How do you calculate the efficiency of power transfer in a circuit?

Efficiency of power transfer in a circuit can be calculated using the formula: Efficiency (%) = (P_load / P_total) * 100, where P_load is the power delivered to the load and P_total is the total power generated by the source. When the load resistance equals the source resistance, the efficiency is 50%.

Why is the efficiency only 50% at maximum power transfer?

At maximum power transfer, the load resistance is equal to the source resistance, causing the power to be equally split between the load and the internal resistance of the source. This results in only half of the total power being delivered to the load, making the efficiency 50%.

Can maximum power transfer be achieved with reactive components like inductors and capacitors?

Yes, maximum power transfer can be achieved in circuits with reactive components by ensuring that the load impedance is the complex conjugate of the source impedance. This means that the resistive parts are equal and the reactive parts cancel each other out.

What are practical applications of the maximum power transfer theorem?

Practical applications of the maximum power transfer theorem include optimizing power delivery in audio amplifiers, ensuring efficient energy transfer in communication systems, and designing matching networks in RF circuits to maximize signal strength and minimize reflection.

Back