Maximizing Profit for a Metal Manufacturing Company with Limited Budget

• Thread starter jmoney1014
  • Start date
In summary, a metal manufacturing company is trying to allocate their budget of $50 million between research and development (R&D) and marketing in order to maximize their profit. They estimate that the total revenue from a material will be R=45x^0.04y^0.12 million dollars, where x represents the amount spent on R&D and y represents the amount spent on marketing. To find the maximum profit, they need to find the values of x and y that will result in the maximum value of R. This can be done by finding the maximum value of R as a function of one variable, either x or y, by setting the derivative of R with respect to that variable equal to 0 and solving for that variable.
jmoney1014
[I've been on this problem for hours :( Someone please help.

A metal manufacturing company estimates that if x million dollars is spent on research and development (R&D) and y million dollars is spent on marketing, the total revenue from a material will be R=45x^0.04y^0.12 million dollars.

If the metal manufacturing company has exactly $50 million to devote to this new material, how should they allocate the money between R&D and marketing in order to maximize their profit?

What will this maximum profit be?

I'm just not sure how to approach this, it seems like such an easy problem. I know that x and y are non negative so I try to solve the constraint equation for one of the variables but I keep falling into a hole, any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
jmoney1014 said:
[I've been on this problem for hours :( Someone please help.

A metal manufacturing company estimates that if x million dollars is spent on research and development (R&D) and y million dollars is spent on marketing, the total revenue from a material will be R=45x^0.04y^0.12 million dollars.

If the metal manufacturing company has exactly $50 million to devote to this new material, how should they allocate the money between R&D and marketing in order to maximize their profit?

What will this maximum profit be?

I'm just not sure how to approach this, it seems like such an easy problem. I know that x and y are non negative so I try to solve the constraint equation for one of the variables but I keep falling into a hole, any help would be appreciated
You have R(x, y) = 45x.04y.12 (million dollars)

You can write R as a function of one variable by using the fact that $50 million is to be spent on R&D and marketing.

x+y=50

To find x where R(x) is maximum: dR(x) / dx = 0 ===> Isolate x

[or to find y where R(y) is maximum: dR(y) / dy = 0 ===> Isolate y]

If have difficulties seeing the problem, plot the function R(x). You will see that at the value of x where R(x) is maximum, the derivative dR(x) / dx = 0, i.e. the slope is an horizontal line at that point.

Related to Maximizing Profit for a Metal Manufacturing Company with Limited Budget

What does "maximizing profit" mean?

"Maximizing profit" refers to the process of increasing the amount of money a business makes by increasing revenue and decreasing expenses. It is a key goal for many businesses and can involve various strategies and tactics.

Why is maximizing profit important?

Maximizing profit is important for businesses because it allows them to grow, invest in new opportunities, and stay competitive in the market. It also benefits stakeholders, such as shareholders and employees, by providing financial stability and potential for growth.

What are some ways to maximize profit?

There are several ways to maximize profit, including increasing sales, reducing costs, optimizing pricing, and improving operational efficiency. Other strategies may include expanding into new markets, diversifying products or services, and investing in technology or marketing.

What factors can affect a business's ability to maximize profit?

There are many factors that can impact a business's ability to maximize profit, such as competition, economic conditions, consumer demand, supply chain disruptions, and government regulations. Additionally, internal factors such as company culture, leadership, and financial management can also play a role.

How can a business measure its success in maximizing profit?

A business can measure its success in maximizing profit by tracking key performance indicators (KPIs) such as revenue growth, profit margins, return on investment, and customer satisfaction. Regular financial analysis and forecasting can also provide insights into a company's profitability and potential for growth.