Maximizing range of projectile on a wedge

In summary: However, as it turns out, the angle that maximizes the distance traveled is actually the angle that maximizes the horizontal range.
AlephNumbers

Homework Statement

A greasy spud is launched off of the top of an infinitely large frictionless wedge. The angle that the wedge slopes down at is 30 degrees. Find the launch angle that maximizes the horizontal range of the spud.

Homework Equations

[/B]
x = x0 + vxt + (1/2)at2

The Attempt at a Solution

I began by rotating the axes so that the x-axis would be parallel with the wedge. Then I divided gravity into x and y components.

ax = sin(30)mg

ay = cos(30)mg

Then I found the total time the spud is in the air

t = 2(sinθv0)/(cos(30)mg)

The horizontal range of the spud can be written as

x = cosθv0t + (1/2)(sinθmg)t2

Substituting for t yields

x = ((2sinθv02)/(cos(30))(cosθ + (sin2θ)/(cos(30))

I then took the derivative of cos(θ) + sin2(θ))/(cos(30) with respect to θ and got

2cosθsinθ/cos(30) - sinθ

setting this equal to zero and solving for theta yielded 64.3 degrees. Then, subtracting the angle through which I rotated the axes gives 34.3 degrees.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
AlephNumbers said:
Substituting for t yields

x = ((2sinθv02)/(cos(30))(cosθ + (sin2θ)/(cos(30))

Check the parentheses!
You made the job difficult with rotating the axes. The trajectory of the projectile, y(x) (height-horizontal displacement) does not depend on the slope, and the x range can be found where y(x) intersects the line of the slope.

Having rotated the axes, x no longer represents horizontal range.

ehild said:
The trajectory of the projectile, y(x) (height-horizontal displacement) does not depend on the slope

haruspex said:
Having rotated the axes, x no longer represents horizontal range.

Right. That was a bit silly of me. So what I solved for was the angle that maximizes the distance covered on the wedge. For some reason I thought that if I maximized the distance that the spud would travel on the wedge I would also maximize the horizontal range.

FAQ: Maximizing range of projectile on a wedge

1. What is a projectile on a wedge?

A projectile on a wedge refers to a situation in which a projectile, such as a ball or bullet, is launched from a higher point onto a surface that is angled or sloped, known as a wedge. This can occur in various scenarios, such as a cannonball being fired onto a rampart or a golf ball rolling down a sloped green.

2. Why is maximizing the range of a projectile on a wedge important?

Maximizing the range of a projectile on a wedge is important because it allows for more accurate and effective use of the projectile. This can be especially crucial in situations where the projectile is being used for a specific purpose, such as in warfare or sports.

3. How can the range of a projectile on a wedge be maximized?

The range of a projectile on a wedge can be maximized through various factors, such as the angle of the wedge, the initial velocity of the projectile, and the coefficient of friction between the projectile and the wedge. By adjusting these factors, the trajectory of the projectile can be optimized for maximum range.

4. What are some real-life applications of maximizing the range of a projectile on a wedge?

There are several real-life applications of maximizing the range of a projectile on a wedge, including military tactics, sports strategies, and engineering designs. For example, in military warfare, artillery units often use wedges to launch projectiles at enemy forces from a distance. In sports such as golf and billiards, players must consider the angle of the wedge to achieve the desired range of their shots.

5. Are there any limitations to maximizing the range of a projectile on a wedge?

Yes, there are limitations to maximizing the range of a projectile on a wedge. Factors such as air resistance, wind speed, and surface conditions can affect the trajectory of the projectile and limit its range. Additionally, the laws of physics, such as the maximum height a projectile can reach, also impose limitations on the range of a projectile on a wedge.

Back