Maximizing Revenue for a 40-Unit Apartment Building: Rent Calculation Help

• Thread starter Alain12345
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Max
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving maximizing revenue for a landlord who plans to increase rent in a 40-unit apartment building. The landlord is currently renting 36 units at $700 per month and the real estate agency has found that for every $25 increase in rent, one more unit becomes vacant. The conversation explores the steps for finding the optimal rent amount to maximize revenue.
Alain12345
I have a problem that I need help with. I tried to solve it, but I don't know how. I don't have much trouble solving simpler min and max problems, but when they start throwing in more numbers, I get confused.

The landlord of a 40-unit apartment building is planning to increase the rent. Currently residents pay $700/month. Four units are vacant. A real estate agency has found that, in this market, every $25 increase in monthly rent results in one more vacant unit. What rent should the landlord charge to maximize revenue?

I know I have to come up with something and get the derivative of that then find the critical number, but if I can't get the first part, I can't continue to solve the problem...

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
he is currently renting 36 units at $700 so he makes 36*700 dollars a month. An increase of $25 a month would give 725*35 dollars a month and so on. So if x is the number of $25 dollar increases a month then
(700+x25) is the amount he charges his residents each month and (36-x) is the number of residents he will have. Can you come up with a function to tell how much money he'll make a month with this information? Once you have this maximize it

Related to Maximizing Revenue for a 40-Unit Apartment Building: Rent Calculation Help

1. What is the "Max revenue problem"?

The "Max revenue problem" is a mathematical optimization problem that involves finding the maximum possible revenue or profit from a given set of resources or constraints.

2. What are the key components of the "Max revenue problem"?

The key components of the "Max revenue problem" include the resources or constraints, the objective or goal (i.e. maximum revenue or profit), and the decision variables that determine the optimal solution.

3. What techniques are commonly used to solve the "Max revenue problem"?

There are various techniques that can be used to solve the "Max revenue problem" such as linear programming, dynamic programming, and greedy algorithms. The choice of technique depends on the specific problem and its constraints.

4. How is the "Max revenue problem" applicable in real-world scenarios?

The "Max revenue problem" is applicable in many real-world scenarios, such as in business and economics where companies seek to maximize profits, in resource allocation problems, and in production planning and scheduling.

5. What are some common challenges associated with solving the "Max revenue problem"?

Some common challenges associated with solving the "Max revenue problem" include correctly identifying and defining the constraints and objectives, dealing with complex and large datasets, and selecting the most appropriate technique for the specific problem at hand.