Maximizing Torque: Comparing Square and Rectangular Coils in Magnetic Fields

In summary, the conversation discussed the maximum torques experienced by a square coil and a rectangular coil, both made from the same length of wire and containing a single turn, in the same magnetic field. The ratio of ts/tr was determined to be 1.125, with the rectangle using 1.5 times more wire than the square.
NotaPhysicsMan
Hey,
Any help will do:

A square coil and a raectangular coil are each made from the same length of wire. Each contains a single turn. The long sides of the rectangle are twice as long as the short sides. Find the ratio t(tau) square/t rectangle of the maximum torques that these coils experience in the same magnetic field when they contain the same current.

Ok what I know:

t=Fl, maximum torque is when the normal is at 90 degrees to the field.
I know that the lengths for all sides of the square are equal, so x.
And the rectangle has two sides x, and two sides 2x. Since we want max torque, we want the bigger lever arm so I'll use 2x.

----o---- 2x rectangle
--o-- x square

Ok so t=Fl
=IABsin@/IABsin@
=I(x^2)Bsin@/I(2x(x)Bsin@)
Since the I, B and sin@ are constant

ts/tr= x^2/2x^2
ts/tr=1/2? :confused:

Anyone want to verify thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone? Please :)

Aren't these two statements contradictory?

NotaPhysicsMan said:
A square coil and a raectangular coil are each made from the same length of wire.

NotaPhysicsMan said:
I know that the lengths for all sides of the square are equal, so x.
And the rectangle has two sides x, and two sides 2x.

Your rectangle is using 1.5 times as much wire as the square.

OH crap, I see. Ugh well let's see then 1.5 x for each side of the square.

Therefore ts/tr= (1.5^2)/(2)=1.125
!
Thanks for the reminder!

Related to Maximizing Torque: Comparing Square and Rectangular Coils in Magnetic Fields

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the turning force applied to an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is torque related to coils?

Torque and coils are closely related as they both involve the concept of rotational force. The magnetic field created by a coil can produce torque on an object, and applying torque to a coil can generate an electric current.

3. What factors affect torque production in a coil?

The amount of current flowing through the coil, the number of turns in the coil, and the strength of the magnetic field all affect torque production in a coil. The orientation and shape of the coil can also play a role.

4. Can torque be negative?

Yes, torque can be negative. This occurs when the direction of the force applied is opposite to the direction of rotation, resulting in a counter-clockwise rotation.

5. How is torque measured?

Torque is typically measured in units of newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb). It can be measured using a torque wrench, which applies a known amount of force to an object and measures the resulting torque.