Maximizing volume of a box without lagrange multipliers

In summary, maximizing the volume of a box without using Lagrange multipliers involves finding the critical points of the volume function by setting the partial derivatives to zero and then solving for the dimensions of the box. This method can be used to find the maximum volume of a box without the need for advanced mathematical techniques. Additionally, it can be applied to various real-world problems, such as optimizing the size of a storage container or packaging for shipping. However, it may not always provide the global maximum volume, and using Lagrange multipliers may be necessary for more complex scenarios.
MuIotaTau

Homework Statement

Show that the largest rectangular box having a fixed surface area must be a cube.

Homework Equations

##V(x,y,z) = xyz##
##\sigma(x,y,z) = 2(xy + yz + zx) = C \in \mathbf{R}##

The Attempt at a Solution

As of this assignment, we haven't yet learned Lagrange multipliers, so that's out of the question. I solved ##\sigma## for ##z##, giving $$z(x,y) = \frac{C - 2xy}{2x + 2y}$$ Substituting in for ##z## in ##V##, I get $$V(x,y) = \frac{Cxy - 2x^2 y^2}{2x + 2y}$$ Taking the Jacobian gives a row matrix whose elements are ##\frac{Cy - 4xy^2}{2x + 2y} + \frac{4x^2y^y - 2Cxy}{(2x + 2y)^2}## and ##\frac{Cy - 4x^2y}{2x + 2y} + \frac{4x^2y^y - 2Cxy}{(2x + 2y)^2}## If I were to proceed, I would set these equal to zero, find the critical points, and use the Hessian, but I feel as if I'm proceeding incorrectly due to the complexity of the derivatives and the presence of ##C##. Any advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think there is any shortcut. In your equation for ##\sigma## you could divide both sides by ##2## using a new constant. Also you can combine the fractions in your derivatives. I presume those ##y^y## factors are typos. I didn't work it all out but my advice is to plug and chug.

If nothing else, it will give you an appreciation for LaGrange multipliers. Could be that is the point of the exercise at this stage of your studies.

Likes 1 person
Yeah, those should have been ##y^2## in both cases. I can definitely see that, given how much they stressed that we not use Lagrange multipliers here. Thank you for the confirmation!

Just as an update, after two and a half pages of scratch work, plugging and chugging did in fact work out.

Thank god for Lagrange multipliers.

MuIotaTau said:

Homework Statement

Show that the largest rectangular box having a fixed surface area must be a cube.

Homework Equations

##V(x,y,z) = xyz##
##\sigma(x,y,z) = 2(xy + yz + zx) = C \in \mathbf{R}##

The Attempt at a Solution

As of this assignment, we haven't yet learned Lagrange multipliers, so that's out of the question. I solved ##\sigma## for ##z##, giving $$z(x,y) = \frac{C - 2xy}{2x + 2y}$$ Substituting in for ##z## in ##V##, I get $$V(x,y) = \frac{Cxy - 2x^2 y^2}{2x + 2y}$$ Taking the Jacobian gives a row matrix whose elements are ##\frac{Cy - 4xy^2}{2x + 2y} + \frac{4x^2y^y - 2Cxy}{(2x + 2y)^2}## and ##\frac{Cy - 4x^2y}{2x + 2y} + \frac{4x^2y^y - 2Cxy}{(2x + 2y)^2}## If I were to proceed, I would set these equal to zero, find the critical points, and use the Hessian, but I feel as if I'm proceeding incorrectly due to the complexity of the derivatives and the presence of ##C##. Any advice?

Just as a matter of interest: it is much, much simpler to solve the problem of minimizing surface area, subject to a given value of volume. In the fixed-volume problem you have z = V/(x*y), for example, and putting that into σ(x,y,z) yields s quite simple minimization problem. You might then think about whether the fixed-volume, minimum area and fixed-area, maximum volume problems are essentially the same.

z is function of x and y: ##z(x,y)=\frac{C-2xy}{2x+2y}##

So the derivatives of V=xyz can be written as

##\frac{\partial V}{\partial x}=yz+xy\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}##

##\frac{\partial V}{\partial y}=xz+xy\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}##

with

##\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}=-\frac{y^2+C/2}{(x+y)^2}##
##\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}=-\frac{x^2+C/2}{(x+y)^2}##

and both partials of V should be zero: ##yz=-xy\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}## *
##xz=-xy\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}## **

divide eq *- with eq ** and simplify.

ehild

Last edited:

Related to Maximizing volume of a box without lagrange multipliers

1. How is the maximum volume of a box calculated without using Lagrange multipliers?

The maximum volume of a box can be calculated by finding the critical points of the volume function, which is determined by the dimensions of the box. This can be done by taking the partial derivatives of the volume function with respect to each dimension and setting them equal to 0. The dimensions that satisfy this equation will give the maximum volume of the box.

2. What is the difference between using Lagrange multipliers and finding critical points for maximizing the volume of a box?

The main difference between these two methods is that Lagrange multipliers consider constraints while finding critical points does not. Lagrange multipliers use a mathematical technique to incorporate constraints into the optimization problem, whereas finding critical points only considers the objective function without any constraints.

3. Can Lagrange multipliers be used for any optimization problem involving a box's volume?

Yes, Lagrange multipliers can be used for any optimization problem involving a box's volume as long as there are constraints present. This method can also be applied to other types of optimization problems, such as maximizing the area of a rectangle with a fixed perimeter.

4. What are some real-world applications of maximizing the volume of a box?

One real-world application of maximizing the volume of a box is in the field of transportation and logistics. Companies use this optimization technique to determine the maximum amount of goods that can be shipped in a single container or truck, thus minimizing transportation costs. Another application is in architecture and design where maximizing the volume of a room or building can help optimize space usage.

5. Are there any limitations to using Lagrange multipliers for maximizing the volume of a box?

One limitation of using Lagrange multipliers is that it can become computationally intensive for problems with a large number of constraints. Additionally, this method may not always provide the global maximum solution, as it only considers the critical points of the objective function. Other optimization techniques may need to be used in combination with Lagrange multipliers to ensure the optimal solution is found.