Maximum acceleration of a front-wheel drive car

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the maximum acceleration possible for a badly loaded front-wheel-drive minibus using two different equations. The first equation involves using moments and yields a result of 0.89, while the second equation involves using the coefficient of friction and yields a result of 1.15. There is uncertainty about which equation is correct, but it is suggested that the second equation may need to be revised to get the correct form.
Kaevan807

Homework Statement

In the badly loaded front-wheel-drive minibus shown in Figure Q26 the centre of gravity
has been moved away from the driving wheels, determine the max acceleration possible in
m/s2 if l=3.0 m, h=1 m, and the static co efficient of friction μs = 0.3.

(Image is attached below)

A - 2.12
B - 0.89
C - 1.34
D - 1.63
E - 1.15

Homework Equations

Ok well two possible equations, the one I used first of all was a = μs * g * fraction of g on front wheel (using moments)

Although I have another equation which says a = μ * g * (distance from back wheel/(distance between wheels - μ * height))

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the first equation I get a = 0.3 * g * 1/3 = 0.98 ~ 0.89 Which is B
Using the second equation I get a = 0.3 * g * (1/3-0.3) = 1.09 ~ 1.15 Which is E

Are either of these equations correct? And if so which one?

Edit Just realized that if I change the sign of the second equation to a + (1/3+0.3) I get exactly 0.89? Coincidence?

Any help would be great

Attachments

• Front-Wheel drive.jpg
    Front-Wheel drive.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 703
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In your first attempt, the normal forces on the wheels do not split 2/3, 1/3 when the car is accelerating. In your second attempt, are you using some equation you found somewhere, or doing some calculation which you don't show?

Kaevan807 said:
if I change the sign of the second equation to a + (1/3+0.3) I get exactly 0.89? Coincidence?
No coincidence. Can you derive the correct form of the equation? Have you perhaps taken the equation you quoted from a different context?

Related to Maximum acceleration of a front-wheel drive car

1. What is maximum acceleration?

Maximum acceleration refers to the highest rate at which a vehicle can increase its speed. It is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s²) or in miles per hour per second (mph/s).

2. How is maximum acceleration calculated?

Maximum acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time it takes for the change to occur. This can be expressed as a formula: a = Δv / Δt, where "a" is acceleration, "Δv" is the change in velocity, and "Δt" is the time it takes for the change to occur.

3. What factors affect the maximum acceleration of a front-wheel drive car?

The maximum acceleration of a front-wheel drive car is affected by several factors, including the weight of the vehicle, the power and torque of the engine, the grip and size of the tires, and the traction of the road surface.

4. How does front-wheel drive affect the maximum acceleration of a car?

Front-wheel drive cars typically have a lower maximum acceleration compared to rear-wheel drive or all-wheel drive cars. This is because the weight of the engine is distributed towards the front of the car, reducing the amount of weight on the rear wheels, which affects the traction and grip needed for maximum acceleration.

5. Can the maximum acceleration of a front-wheel drive car be improved?

Yes, the maximum acceleration of a front-wheel drive car can be improved through modifications such as adding more powerful engines, upgrading the tires for better grip, and reducing the overall weight of the vehicle. However, it is important to note that the design and limitations of front-wheel drive will still have an impact on the maximum acceleration of the car.