Maximum acceleration with simple car

In summary, when rear wheel drive is applied to a car with a weight, the maximum acceleration possible is limited by the weight of the car, the normal force on the wheels, and the frictional force.
enerj
http://build1.net/rand/car.bmp

Homework Statement

Given the variables in the drawing, and coefficient of friction u, what is the maximum possible acceleration if the car is rear wheel drive? Neglect rotational inertia of the wheels.

Homework Equations

Up and right is (+) for forces along with counter-clockwise being (+) for moments
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]F = m * a
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Mc = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I have established the following variables in my attempt to find the solution;
W - vehicle weight
Nf - normal force on front wheel
Nr - normal force on rear wheel
Ff - frictional force

I gave the car a weight, W, applied downward at the center of mass. From this, a normal force is applied upward at the front and rear wheel, Nf and Nr, respectively.

There is also a frictional force opposing the cars forward motion, Ff pointing to the left.

Summing the forces in the y direction yields W = Nf + Nr

And the moment equation is
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]Mc = 0 = -(Nr * A) + (Nf * (B - A)) + (Ff * Y)

I am pretty sure that the force the tire applies to the ground will have to be at the verge of breaking friction for maximum acceleration, or u * Nr

Unfortunately I could not relate the previous equations and would appreciate a pointer. By the way, the solution is

[(B - A) g * u ] / [(B - uY)

where g is gravity.

Thanks guys

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, enerj.
I think the starting point on this question is to ask why wouldn't the "maximum" acceleration be infinite? Is there some limit to the engine power or perhaps to its grip on the road? No use writing any equations until you've got this "grip" on the question.

Because as soon as the wheel slips, or breaks friction, the car as a whole will have reached maximum acceleration.

Can I represent this by using F = ma so a = F / m where m is the mass of the car and F is the friction force, so a = u * Nr / m?

Yes, you've got it! Note that when you fill in the detailed formula for N, the m's will cancel out and you have only a very simple calculation for the acceleration.

Related to Maximum acceleration with simple car

1. What is maximum acceleration?

Maximum acceleration is the highest rate at which an object can change its velocity in a given amount of time. In the context of a simple car, it refers to the maximum rate at which the car can increase its speed.

2. How is maximum acceleration calculated?

To calculate maximum acceleration, you need to know the initial velocity, final velocity, and the time it takes for the car to reach its final velocity. The formula for maximum acceleration is (final velocity - initial velocity) / time.

3. What factors affect the maximum acceleration of a simple car?

The maximum acceleration of a simple car is affected by various factors such as the engine power, weight of the car, aerodynamics, road conditions, and tire traction. A heavier car with a more powerful engine and better aerodynamics will have a higher maximum acceleration.

4. Can the maximum acceleration of a simple car be improved?

Yes, the maximum acceleration of a simple car can be improved by making modifications to the engine, reducing the weight of the car, improving aerodynamics, and using high-performance tires. However, these modifications may also affect other aspects of the car's performance.

5. What is the difference between maximum acceleration and top speed?

Maximum acceleration refers to how quickly a car can increase its speed, while top speed refers to the maximum speed that a car can reach. A car with a high maximum acceleration may not necessarily have a high top speed, and vice versa.

Back